We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crimne on Bastimentos

ct
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
crimne on Bastimentos

Hi everyone;

We're looking to stay on Bastimentos for a week or so, but have read several reports of robberies,most notably on the walk to Wizard beach. W'ed like to know if this was recent, old news, has this situation changed or was it simply a few instances, that are being reported by the same few on many websites? We understand the problems sometimes associtated with travelling to areas such as this, but don't want to travel where there's an ongoing problem. Anyone have good recent info on this?

Panama
Level Contributor
111 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crimne on Bastimentos

Bocas del Toro Province includes an archiapelago of over 200 islands with 7 main islands, Bastimentos is one of them. It is a small, intimate community. The reports are not recent but visitors must keep their antennas up traveling anywhere in the world these days. Wizard beach is a beautiful beach. There are no hotels or other establishments at this undeveloped, secluded surf beach. As a result, all you need and should take with you is a beach towel.

One would be foolish to you leave their personal items unattended when you go to the ocean. Same for Waikiki, Hawaii! Wizards Beach is one of your multiple beach destinations to visit in Bocas del Toro. There is Playa de Drago, Red Frog Beach or take a tour boat ride to Cayo Zapatillas.

Using Isla Colon as a jumping board to our arhciapelago is always a plus and offers you many great choices. Enjoy the adventure, while being a smart and responsible traveler!

Edited: 19 August 2010, 03:57
Washington
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crimne on Bastimentos

Well said Wold

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crimne on Bastimentos

I own and run a small resort on Isla Bastimentos and have had many, many guests do the hike to Wizards Beach as well as Red Frog with no trouble what so ever

dallas
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: crimne on Bastimentos

I agree with Wold. I was visiting Bastimentos in April, by myself, and went to Wizzard beach. I had also read the reports of crime, and followed the smart traveler advise that Wold gives. I had no problems at all. If anything, I found that people were friendly, the beach isolated and beautiful.I walked back from the beach alone, and the only thing that was a little scary was hearing the sounds in the jungle. In fact, I did not have any problems anywhere I visited, Red Frog Beach, Starfish etc. also, the downtown area was just fine as well. Lots of very friendly people, very eclectic, a great place to visit. Surf schools are all over. I used the one across the street from Cocomo BTS where I stayed, and I felt safe and had a great time. I think while traveling it is always a good idea to let locals show you around, such as surf guides. Not expensive and well worth the price.

Enjoy, and do not miss starfish beach

5. Re: crimne on Bastimentos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 07:33
Get answers to your questions about Isla Bastimentos
Recent Conversations