We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Imperial hotel - which place to eat

UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Imperial hotel - which place to eat

We're travelling from Sawai Madhophur to Shimla by train, and have a 4 hour gap between trains at Delhi, between 7 and 11 pm.

I thought that gap could be filled by a nice dinner at the Imperial, but having read the reviews can't work out which is the best place to eat, as there are so many restaurants there?

I was thinking Spice Route but have heard that it's not as good as you might think, and is overpriced.

Can anyone recommend the best place to eat?

Many thanks.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
832 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Imperial hotel - which place to eat

Frogwell:

My wife and I stayed there in October 2004 and like some others, I too was not overly impressed with the Spice Route. I think we ate in 1911 which was fine.

Columbus, GA
Level Contributor
77 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Imperial hotel - which place to eat

I have eaten at them all. I am a dining and food nut. I was very disappointed in the Spice Route and the 1911 Brasserie. I ate there a year ago. I cannot say that they have improved in the interval, but I doubt it.

We loved San Gimignano. It is located past the Channel store across from the book store. It is small, quaint, romantic and unpretentious. The waiters and staff are more laid back and the food was head over heels better than the other restaurants. We ate here twice it was so good. I hope they have kept the same quality and service. (Wine in these restaurants is more precious than gold and very expensive even for Western standards.)

For breakfast, do 1911 on the patio and enjoy the buffet. It was really wonderful and much different from what we get here in the US. The one disappointment was the Chai Massala, its better from the street stalls. The coffee was excellent.

Atlanta
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Imperial hotel - which place to eat

Just had lunch at Spice Route last week while in Delhi. Outstanding service and food, The decor and ambience is spectacular. However, as you have pointed out, it is quite expensive by Indian standards.....around $100 U.S. for 2 for lunch with drinks, tax, tip. The food is not traditional "Indian Chinese"...more Thai, Malaysian etc.

If you want something Chinese, close to the ND Central Railway Station and more reasonable, try Zen or Birkos (Berkos?...not sure of spelling). Locals love these places.

Enjoy!

4. Re: Imperial hotel - which place to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 01:19