We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we really need immunizations???

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
324 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Do we really need immunizations???

We live in the US; Do we really need to get immunizations for hepatitis a, typhoid, tetanus, malaria? (I know these are not required, but recommended) I will be going to mostly tourist areas with my 12 and 15 year old in late December, just 12 days in-country. Delhi-Agra-Jaipur. Please let me know if you are a healthcare professional. thanks

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,020 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we really need immunizations???

Yes. I would never go anywhere without keeping jabs up to date. See your physician about this. Also anti-malaria prophylaxis is in pill form; you cannot get a jab to prevent malaria.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we really need immunizations???

Why do you take a risk?

Hep A&B is better since you will eat lots of oily stuff in India.Tetanus is better because who knows where you will have bruices or small cuts?

If you are staying in a 5 star hotels , then may be you can skip Malaria immunizations.

You can take these immunizations soon after landing in India too if you think these are expensive in your country.

Take care.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we really need immunizations???

We keep all the vaccs you mention up to date anyway, but certainly would not go to a country where they are recommended without having them.

As stated, anti-malarials are tablets, you appear to only be travelling only within the no/low risk areas, see map here fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/…india.htm so the choice is yours.

At the end of our trip we will only be spending 4 nights within the boundary of 'variable' risk but are opting to take the tablets for our other 10 days in the no/low risk areas (might as well). No-one tells an infected mozzy that they have been brought into the no/low risk area (perhaps hitching a ride in a tourist vehicle) therefore they mustn't infect anyone!

Baltimore
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we really need immunizations???

Nine years ago my family spent 2 weeks in Delhi. We did not venture into rural areas. We all got the Hep A but not the Typhoid immunization as we thought the risk was low. We tookevery precaution possible. My 5 year old contracted Typhoid Fever. Although he recovered fine w/o antibiotics, it was a scary and horrible nightmare. Also, after his full recovery he was not permitted to attend school until the bug was completely out of his system, which took a couple of months. Better safe than sorry! Also - beware of vendors trying to sell bottled water that is actually filled with tap water - check the seal!!

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we really need immunizations???

Hi. I volunteered in India for 2 months almost 2 years ago. I spent the entire time in rural areas in Southern India with the exception of 1 week in Goa. I did not get immunized for anything. The only thing I would say is don't drink the tap water. Also, I took along malarial medication just to be safe, but I only ended up taking 1 week supply. I would not worry about immunizing yourself. You may want to take malarial medication, I'm not sure how that area of India is for malaria. I was completely healthy and did not get sick even though I was in daily contact with slum folk and beggar children.

6. Re: Do we really need immunizations???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 15:20