We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a female 20something traveling alone?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for a female 20something traveling alone?

Hello,

A few weeks ago, I decided on a whim to purchase a plane ticket to New Delhi for August 21st-28th!

Now I'm doing research, and I'm not finding information as easily as I'd like, so I have a few questions:

I'm arriving at 2 AM in the Delhi airport. As a lone female traveler, is it advisable to leave the airport at this time, or should I try to wait it out til morning?

I see that the airport has a new "massage and nap" lounge and was considering just staying there. However, I'm on somewhat of a budget so I'd like to know how much it would cost me to stay here for 6 hours or so?

As for my time there, I'd like to do a Golden Triangle tour, but there are sooooo many different websites offering the tour that I have no idea where to start. Are there any recommendations? Something around 5-6 days would be perfect.

Additionally, since I'm a somewhat experienced backpacker, I'm wondering if it might just be easier (and cheaper) to travel on my own without a tour group. I am concerned about safety, though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
delhi
delhi
3 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Vaibhav Tourism Services Pvt Ltd
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
When In India Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Taj Mahal Day Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
India City Walks
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
calgary
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a female 20something traveling alone?

The hotel you choose to stay with in Delhi, should provide you with an airport pickup regardless of your arrival time- no need for you to spend your first hours in India at the airport.

Mentioned in this post
delhi
delhi
3 Reviews
New Delhi, India
New Jersey
Level Contributor
185 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a female 20something traveling alone?

You can find information/suggestions about the Golden Triangle Tour under the Top Question for New Delhi on the right hand side column of this forum.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a female 20something traveling alone?

By the time you come out it will be 0330 to 0400 AM (persume it is International flight) as to clear immigration, luggage etc. so not to worry about coming out from airport to the Hotel, for lone female traveler hotels in Mahalipal pur, Karol bagh or Paharganj not advisable, better to stay in south Delhi which might cost you slightly higher then Karolbagh or Paharganj location. If you feel to take some more time at the new airport, it will be you wish. You are arriving in Delhi and there is no better place to starts Golden Triangle tour of Delhi agra jaipur from Delhi.

Tour itinerary for 5-6 days can be done as follows :

Day 01 Arrive Delhi : PM : sightseeing

Day 02 Delhi - Sightseeing.

Day 03 Delhi - Agra

Day 04 Agra - Jaipur

Day 05 Jaipur

Day 06 Jaipur - Delhi and Depart

There are numbers of descent hotels/home stays in Delhi Agra Jaipur and will meet your requirement.

Dawanti Rana :)

Mentioned in this post
delhi
delhi
3 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Agra
Agra
Agra District, India
Jaipur
Jaipur
Jaipur District, India
4. Re: Advice for a female 20something traveling alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2010, 09:06
Dharamsala, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a female 20something traveling alone?

You can check www.phototours.in and ask for a custom tour.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for a female 20something traveling alone?

I guess your biggest concern is safety. Don't worry! India is a safe country and foreign tourists fine people very hospitable (you can see their comments in many of the posts in this forum). You just have to use commonsense and modest dressing to ensure safety.

I will answer only the questions which are not yet answered.

You can do backpacking alone and you will find many other like you doing it. It is of course a cheaper option than doing a packaged tour, provided you plan everything in advance.

You can use the following sites to plan your trip, if you decide to backpack:

www.makemytrip.com

www.cleartrip.com

However, having packaged/customised tour gives you peace of mind.

Take a quote from various agencies, and get everything in writing before you travel.

I also heard about massage and nap facility at Terminal 3. Have not used yet and have no idea about the charges.

Vivek

toronto,
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for a female 20something traveling alone?

HI!

I'm also a twenty-something year old female travelling alone. When do you leave?

email me at amberbrown_110@yahoo.com, maybe we can meet up. i'll be doing the triangle in a couple days. when do you leave?

calgary
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for a female 20something traveling alone?

Karol Bagh and Parhganj are fine for solo female travelers! Its comments like this that make these places that are teeming with tourists solo and not, female and male seem unsafe.

I totally refute the comment that for a solo female Karol Bagh and Paharganj are unsafe!

Mentioned in this post
Karol Bagh
Karol Bagh
126 Reviews
New Delhi, India
9. Re: Advice for a female 20something traveling alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 August 2010, 04:05
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,557 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for a female 20something traveling alone?

Justin52 is a spammer who has set up a Travellers Article for advertising his company. I have edited and removed the article. Please ignore his posts.