We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varq vs Bukhara

CT
Level Contributor
852 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Varq vs Bukhara

We plan to have a nice dinner the first day we arrive (read jet lag) near our hotel. I think we have chosen on one or the other of these. Has anyone been to both and can give me a comparison? I would really like to go to Karrim's but I am concerned re the distance from our hotel (The Imperial). Can one actually reserve at Karrims or is it first come first served?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varq vs Bukhara

I have been to Bukhara and it is exceptional. Its also very expensive, but the food is worth it. Don't forget the Dal Bukhara and the Kebabs.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varq vs Bukhara

Bukhara And varq both are great restaurants. While Bukhara serves traditional fare, varq offers Indian food with a modern touch.

At Karim's it's first come first served but that should not deter you from trying it. It's one of it's own kind in Delhi region and my carnivore friends swear by it.

It's not too far from Imperial. Just 15-20 minutes in a taxi.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,585 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varq vs Bukhara

From the Imperial to the Maurya Sheraton (Bukhara) and to the Taj Mahal Hotel at Mansingh Road (Varq), there is a 30 min transfer time. You will probably need a car; although you can get autorickshaws outside the Imperial. Or get the bell desk to call you a local dial taxi service.

If it's your first night in Delhi, maybe Spice Route at the Imperial is a better choice to avoid travel. They have Kerala specialities, which might be nice esp if you are not going to South India on this trip.

Also, on your first night in India, maybe it is better to take it easy on the smaller eateries / local food so you don't start with a stomach problem. Not that foreigners don't eat at Karims - but it is not in the same hygiene league as those other restaurants.

- Deepa

Edited: 16 August 2010, 15:17
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Varq vs Bukhara

Yogi, more than that at dinner time traffic, and perhaps Karim's at Nizammudin would be more convenient traffic wise,

whilst there apart from the famous Sikanderi Raan consider their tandoori machhi (fish) also, but that said, I think on ur first night in India you should try the brilliant nouvelle Indian cuisine at Taj's Varq and avoid the heavy (but v yum yum) food at Karim's

basically Bhukara is one of the world's finest Restaurants for traditional North Indian, Frontier (Pak-Afghan) cuisines (with influences from Central Asia) and Varq one of the world's finest for Nouvelle Indian (Menu consists of some the best Indian Dishes chosen from across the vast nation prepared with a Nu Age Twist)

BTW you would know White Wines go best with spicy Indian (like Sauvignon Blanc, Fume Blanc or Sylvaner)

Edited: 16 August 2010, 16:13
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Varq vs Bukhara

I missed reading your post Deepa, but yes as I've noted foreigners can avoid heavy Indian on 1st coupla days, that's why Varq or even the excellent Spice Route are ideal

UK
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Varq vs Bukhara

Both Varq & Bukhara are very different in terms of the Indian culinary experiences they offer. My personal preference would be Bukhara because this restaurant will give you a very unique ethnic Indian experience with world class exceptional food! This kind of a combination is hard to match elsewhere! If you do choose to go to Bukhara definitely give their dish " Sikandari Raan" a try! Agree with the rest that the food at Karims can be a little tough on your system at the beginning of your Indian trip. Enjoy your stay! BTW some food for thought for you at http://bit.ly/avsuZJ

7. Re: Varq vs Bukhara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 August 2010, 11:31
Edited: 17 August 2010, 11:31
New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Varq vs Bukhara

Karim's is well respected restaurant but yes I do agree that it might be little tough on westerner's stomachs.

As far as their branches are considered my friends don't rate them very highly, if you want real thing Karim's at Jama Masjid is the place.

CT
Level Contributor
852 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Varq vs Bukhara

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions.

10. Re: Varq vs Bukhara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 07:17