We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi 2 days- Itinerary help please

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
83 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Delhi 2 days- Itinerary help please

Hi guys,

My husband and I will be in Delhi for 2 days as part our 5 day whistlestop trip to India. We arrive on 12th September (Sunday) and leave for Agra on the Shatabdi on 14th (Wednesday), so essentially I have sunday to monday to roam around.

Herein lies my problem. Only upon closer inspection and when I have sat down to jot down an itinerary have I noticed that some places are closed on Mondays and some on Sundays.

Would you guys be kind enough to give me a logical itinerary for those 2 days. I know you must get asked this often and I'd try to figure it out myself if I could but am finding vast amounts of information harder to digest, especially while fasting!

Ideally I didn't want to be stuck inside a car I wanted to metro it or autorickshaw if I can possible help it so as to get an authentic feel for India. Are major tourist spots cover-able by metro?

We're staying in Karol Bagh and our flight lands at 10.20am on the Sunday. I was thinking check in, freshen up, unpack then venture out to Karol Bagh as it's closed on Mondays and I'm a bit of a shopaholic, more when it comes to sarees and all things Indian! Am now thinking I may have to forgo that and opt to see red Fort, Lotus temple etc on the sunday? Alternatively do the jam packed Delhi Darshan/Panickers tour on a monday? What will I miss if I choose to do this on the monday? No AC I know but somethings gotta give!

I still have no idea where things are in relation to each other so the above may not be feasible. In short we want to do the major destinations and shopping- sarees etc for me not really interested in western stuff- I have that readily available here.

Sorry for the long post. Any pointers much appreciated!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delhi 2 days- Itinerary help please

Here's one suggestion:

On Sunday - Qutb Complex, Lotus temple, Imperial Delhi and Karol Bagh Shopping

On Monday - Humayun's Tomb and Old Delhi including Chandni Chowk shopping

Regards

Deepa

London
Level Contributor
83 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delhi 2 days- Itinerary help please

Thanks Deepa. I'm a lurker on many of these threads and have always found your posts very informative.

Would you say I have to give in to a hire car or can these be done by metro?

On the 2nd day do you think it would be wiser to go for a sight seeing tour as they pack a lot in to a day or do it by ourselves?

Lastly, during this itinerary planning it is becoming apparent that I need more time in Delhi. At current we're doing-

12th- Arrival at 10.20am Delhi

13th- Delhi

14th- Agra

15th-Jaipur

16th- Jaipur

17th- Jaipur, train at 17.50 to Delhi, then flight out of Delhi at 1.30am on the 18th.

Should I lose a day out of Jaipur to add it onto Delhi. All tickets are booked so it'd be a bit of a hassle rearranging it all but I'd do it if you guys think a significant improvement can be made. Also I have the option of flying out of Jaipur earlier in the day so we have more of an evening in Delhi before the flight. Again I'd have to cancel the train tickets and look at availability of flights but if it improves the trip i'd be willing.

Sorry to bore you with my troubles. Any help greatly appreciated as always.

UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Delhi 2 days- Itinerary help please

probably you can do old delhi by metro and also qutub minar too as i've heard that there will be a metro soon for qutub minar & you can also tru tuk-tuk ride it is kind of crazy but awesome.

Cheers, Good day !

UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Delhi 2 days- Itinerary help please

your itinerary seems good, i don't think you need any change, train ride is good though gives a good indian experience !

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delhi 2 days- Itinerary help please

Sun 12th- Arrival at 10.20am Delhi. Transfer to hotel etc. Then you have only the afternoon left. I would say, choose between shopping and sightseeing. I would suggest sightseeing. Get a car, it only costs Rs 800-1000 and it is totally worth the convenience as Qutb Complex, Lotus temple, Imperial Delhi are spread out. Also this year the rains are heavy and it is expected to rain in September.

Mon 13th- Delhi - Humayun's Tomb and Old Delhi including Chandni Chowk shopping...this day you can actually do more if you want to see more places in Delhi...but Chandni Chowk can be very addictive and it is easy to spend 3-4 hours there.

14th- Agra - Drive or train to Agra, see Agra Fort

15th-Jaipur - see Taj Mahal and drive to Jaipur via Fatehpur Sikri

16th- Jaipur sightseeing - Amer Fort, Walled City monuments

17th- Jaipur sightseeing - Bazaars, and don't forget to shop :), train at 17.50 to Delhi, then flight out of Delhi at 1.30am on the 18th.

Edited: 27 August 2010, 07:18
Newcastle
Level Contributor
307 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delhi 2 days- Itinerary help please

We did Delhi in January staying in Karol Bagh and had two whole days which we divided into New and Old Delhi. We just walked, used rickshaws and metro to get around. Day one we got metro to Connaught Square and walked to India Gate, we then went on to Humayoun's tomb walking some of the way and rickshaw the rest. After that we visited the Lodi Gardens (lovely for 30 minute breather on the grass) and then on to a further Hindu temple 10 minute walk away (which I can't recall the name of ). We then finished up at the Presidential palace (magnificent) and parliament building befor having an early dinner in Connaught Square.

On day 2 we got the Metro from Karol Bagh to Askhardam (had to change once on metro) and my advice is if you see anything in Delhi you must see Askhardam its breathtaking!! We then got cab to metro line and metro back to New Delhi station. From there we went to Raj Ghat (Ghandi's burial place) and walked up to the Red Fort through the lovely park. From Red Fort we walked into the heart of old Delhi along the very busy thoroughfare (Chadni Chowk?) and to the huge mosque at Jammed Masjed (excuse the spelling). Old Delhi is absolutely fabulous and I could have spent days wandering through. There were other sights we'd have loved to have seen but those above were well worth it and highly recommended.

London
Level Contributor
83 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delhi 2 days- Itinerary help please

Thanks all for your input. The final plan (i think) :

Sunday-

Having arrived at 10.20 am assuming we'll be checked in, showered and ready to head out by 1pm.

1-3 Karol Bagh shopping, from my research I gather Ajmal Khan Road is the place to be.

At 3 hop onto a metro and go to the Qutub Minar if the station is operational by then. This way we'd beat the afternoon traffic. If the station isn't operational then we could just hire a cab. Drive by the Lotus Temple to take in it's architectural beauty (to be honest we're not really interested much about the inside). Head back to India gate, take a walk around Rajpath and the president's house and parliament.

Evening stroll in Connaught Place, Janpath market followed by dinner at Haldiram's.

Monday-

Busy busy day!

Early start wake up and have breakfast by 8. Taxi to Humayun's Tomb. Then onto Ghandi sriti, hazrat Nizamuddin Darga and the Jame Masjid.

Lunch at karim's opposite the Masjid. I've heard the food is halal so tat'd be perfect.

Afternoon at Chadni Chowk and if we're really feeling adventurous then hop on a metro to Dilli Haat (assuming the metro is the fastest way to cross the city) as it is open until late. Dinner/snacks at Dilli Haat.

We're missing the Red fort as we'll hopefully be gping to Agra Fort and Amber in Jaipur. I also realise we're missing Lodi Garden's and the Akshardam Temple. Hopefully we'll do these next time or if magically we manage to save time we'll fit it in this time.

Hope this is all feasible, if not we'll play it by ear. Can't wait to become a dilli billi and hop across the city everywhere. Methinks we will love it :)

calgary
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delhi 2 days- Itinerary help please

Karol Baghs stores are closed on Monday with the exception of a few who stay open- but to compensate for this shut down there is an awesome night market that starts around late afternoon and runs till about 10pm. There are vendors selling everything from material to ready made suits, and its down the length of Ajmal Khan road!! Do make sure you check it out if you can!!

London
Level Contributor
83 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delhi 2 days- Itinerary help please

Hi,

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Will definitely try to check that out if I can.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delhi 2 days- Itinerary help please

Hi there,

You seem to have your itinerary sorted out, but the main thing is just to chill out and take in the madness (and sometimes frustration) that is Delhi. A couple of practical tips for you re transport - the Metro is one of the things that Delhiites are justifiably proud of - it really is a great system, and the best way by far to get to Old Delhi (which you must see). Once in Old Delhi, if time is tight, then go for a cycle rickshaw,which should absolutely cost you no more than 100 rupees per hour (abs max). Be clear to them that you do not want to visit any shops, otherwise you'll find yourself being given a demonstration and a sell (at inflated price). If you want to make it really easy, I have a rider who is very good with guests, Saleem (speaks good French and English) - his mobile number is 09910405372. He can, with notice, pick you up from Chandni Chowk metro. Make sure he takes you to the Spice Market roof - not to be missed.

In Agra, Ahmed is a wonderful Auto Rickshaw driver who will, again with notice, pick you up from Agra station (don't be tempted to go by car, waste of time and you miss the fabulous Indian train experience - go 2nd class if you are ok with the heat and chaos). Ahmed is on 09412341811, and can take you for an incredible Biryani (just ask for English Stuart's biryani restaurant). It is very 'authentic' but forget your hygiene considerations if you can for a delicious Biryani eaten with fingers.

Last Auto recommendation (and no, I'm not in some kind of Auto driver's sales business, I just get many guests!) is Imran in Jaipur. Really fun guy who loves to show off his town (which is very friendly in comparison to Delhi). Imran is on 09982742708 and parks near the Umaid Mahal hotel (which is absolutely delightful if you are looking for somewhere to stay in Jaipur).

All these riders can save you a lot of grief, as there are unfortunately many who see tourists as cash cows that are ok to be ripped off. That said, most are charming, but you do need to be confident. A good tip is that black and yellow taxis should always be on the meter (starting at 20 rupees) unless you want by time, in which case 500 rupees max for four hours. Auto rickshaws (tuk tuks) should be no more than half the taxi fare.

From the airport, make sure you get a pre-pay taxi by paying at the booth. Believe NO ONE who comes up to you and offers services. Getting to the airport, Meru Cabs are reliable and cheap, your hotel should be able to pre-book.

In Old Delhi, the fort is not necessarily a good use of time (in my opinion) if time is limited. Far better to do the Jama Masjid and the markets. At the Jama Masjid, you don't pay for entry (and shouldn't pay to leave your shoes either) but do have to pay for taking a camera (200 rupees) which is fair enough. Also worth doing for a stunning view over Old Delhi is the tower, again 200 rupees and worth it.

Karim's restaurant is great, although I find the one in Nizamuddin to be better.

If you want to do shopping easily, then Fab India is convenient for clothes (and no haggling nonsense) in Khan Market and other locations, whereas Cottage Industries on Janpath is great for nick-nacks and general tourist stuff. It's govt owned, so cheap and no haggling.

This was only going to be a short comment, but have got carried away! Have a fabulous time, it is like no-where else on the planet.....

Enjoy,

Stuart