We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which monument should we miss in Agra?

macau
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which monument should we miss in Agra?

We are only in Delhi for 3 days so can only fit in a one day tour to Agra. Since I have been searching all the forums with info on Agra I realise that there are too many things to see in one day!

The Taj Mahal is the initial reason for our trip so it's a must and in every tour it is coupled with Agra Fort and the option of going to Fatehpur Sikri, but what about Sikndra (Tomb of Akbar) and Itmad-ud-daula (mini Taj)?

Is it possible to see them all in one day, and if not, which one should we leave out?

We still have not decided if we should go by train or car. The trip by car is a lot of hours on the road but the tours using the train seem to have a lot of time waiting at the station.....

Any advice you can give us will be appreciated.

Humayun's Mosque
Monuments & Statues
Gyarah Murti
Monuments & Statues
North India Tour
Monuments & Statues, Historic Walking Areas
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which monument should we miss in Agra?

I haven't seen all those sights, so I don't really know the feasibility of doing everything in a single day, but I can tell you this: you don't need a tour to get to Agra, you can do that very cheaply and easily for yourself, as there are at least twenty trains a day. If you were prepared to go VERY early, you could just hire autorickshaws from point to point: Taj Mahal first, of course, as it's so very crowded as the day progresses that you may be quite disappointed with the "Disneyland" feel of the place after mid-morning. There are rickshaws/autorickshaws/taxis absolutely everywhere, with every step you take, so you won't waste any time looking for one... and, that way, you can gauge the number of sites you see according to your energy, not that of the other people on the "tour", and the number of daylight hours you have left.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which monument should we miss in Agra?

Yeah you could see them briefly in a day but really you need time to soak them all in, though a great shame the obvious one to miss would be Fatehpur Sikri as this lies a good way out of the city.

An early morning start and you could get photographs at all of them I suppose, but that would be about it, you wouldn't be doing them all justice.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which monument should we miss in Agra?

We had gone to Agra in Feb 2010. Went by morning Shatabdi, and came back by evening Shatabdi. There is a pre-paid taxi stand just outside the Agra Cantt station building. We paid about Rs 1200 for an AC car to take us to Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, lunch and Fathepur Sikri. We could easily cover all three ... and spend enough time at each location. Infact, we had an hour to kill at the end ... and our driver took us to some shops/factories selling carpets, ivory products, etc.

I also went in June 2010 to Agra by car ... bad mistake. The train is better anyday ... half the time, more comfortable, u can walk around, meet fellow tourists, etc.

cheers,

- manish

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which monument should we miss in Agra?

he he I got caught in one of those unexpected Indian traffic jams where lakhs of pilgrims lined the road from Fatehpur Sikri to Agra.

Also if you add Sikandra and the mini taj it's a very rushed day out doable no doubt but rushed and here we have a cultural difference too, Indians do tend to rush their tours it's something I've noticed over the years. Not criticing just remarking on a cultutal difference.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which monument should we miss in Agra?

CH,

I agree with your view. I myself visited Itmad-ud-daula, Ram Bagh, Mehtab Bagh, Chini ka Roza and Siknadra in one day. Taj & Red Fort was another half day. That's travel style of many indians but things are changing, now a days many people adopt a more relaxing pace.

Needless to say a very good guide accompanied me (the same who was with you too).

Agra, India
Level Contributor
750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which monument should we miss in Agra?

Hi,

I think the best way for you to travel would be by train and the best train for you would be 2002 Bhopal shatabadi express which leaves Delhi at 0615 Hrs and reaches Agra at 0812 HRS and you can use the same train to go back to Delhi in the Evening 2001 Bhopal Shatabadi Express which leaves Agra Cantt at 2030 HRS and reaches New Delhi at 2230 HRS.....you will have the whole day in Agra in which you can explore the city....

The ticket for chair car is around Rs. 400 one way and Ist AC is Rs. 700.

You will have to purchase separate tickets for each way....and the tickets can be bought in advance....

see http://www.seat61.com/India.htm and you will get all the information about trains in India.....

This trains is the most reliable and doesn't get canceled.....at the worst it can run late on a very foggy day.....that too very seldom....

I personally would suggest taking the Shatabadi express as it reduces your traveling time to the minimum....secondly it is very comfortable....saves you from driving 9-10 hrs in total (from Delhi to Agra and Back) breakfast is served on board....and on return from Agra to Delhi Dinner is served on board.....

In Agra you can book a Taxi which can meet you at the station and take you around Agra and drop you at the Railway Station in the Evening to take the train back to New Delhi....

Agra is a wonderful city....the ancient capitals of the Mughals and greats sights to explore...

1.) The world Famous Taj Mahal

2.) Agra Fort....A beautiful fortress which is one of the biggest and most elaborate in Northern India....

3.) Itmad-ud-Daulah....Famous as the Baby Taj (It is said that the inspiration of the Taj Mahal was taken from this building)

4.) Fatehpur Sikri....the deserted capital of the mughal king Akbar....(About 35 KMS from Agra

5.) Sikandra....Tomb of the mughal king Akbar....

I feel at a comfortable pace one can manage to cover four out of the five places mentioned above....

Happy Traveling.....

Sunil

macau
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which monument should we miss in Agra?

Thanks everybody for all the info and advice.....looks like the group will have to put it to a vote :)

macau
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which monument should we miss in Agra?

Thanks again everyone, we have decided to go by train.

But now I have another question...when I tried to book on MakeMyTrip, I could not type the full name of one of the group. There is space for 15 characters but her first and last name are 21 characters long.

It seems like the age is very important and this is another problem, one of the group has a birthday next week, so do I put the age she is NOW or the age she will be when we board the train?

Appreciate any advice :)

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which monument should we miss in Agra?

You can put the short name or first name. Age of the person when you will be travelling. I think it is just app. age that is required unless you want to get some benefit -concessional fair for senior citizen or children.

After deciding to travel by train , now you have more time to cover places. If it is big group so it moves slowly. You won't be able to do everything . I recommend to chose from following two-

1) Taj mahal, Agra Fort and Fateh pur Sikri.

OR

2)Taj mahal,Agra Fort, Sikandra, Itmad-ud-daula and View of Taj from Mehtab Bagh.

Make sure that your day trip is not on Friday. Taj mahal is closed on Friday.

deepak

macau
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which monument should we miss in Agra?

Thanks Deepak, looks like another vote :)