We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1/2 day tours of Delhi

SAN DIEGO
Level Contributor
325 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
1/2 day tours of Delhi

I am looking for a tour company that can provide me with 1/2 day tours of Delhi.

Any recs?

Thanks

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1/2 day tours of Delhi

1/2 day tour ??? That's too little.

Best is to take a tour of Mughal Delhi covering Red Fort, Chandni Chowk and Jama Masjid.

SAN DIEGO
Level Contributor
325 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1/2 day tours of Delhi

I am with a 4 year old, so I am hoping to do two 1/2 day tours in a row.

Is that ok?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,497 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1/2 day tours of Delhi

The city that we call "Delhi" is made up of multiple sub-cities. Delhi is thought to date from the 8th Century AD, when the Rajput Tomars founded a city that they called Lal Kot. Successive rulers – the Chauhans, the Sultans and the Mughals – fought over and claimed Delhi for their own, founding a series of seven great cities, all in the same geographical area. When Delhi became the capital of the Raj, the British created an eighth city of broad roads and impressive public buildings.

If you have only two half days, then what I would recommend is that you see three of these 8 cities, for a good understanding of Delhi's many layers. The three cities that I recommend are:

a) The Qutab Minar complex, which is built on the original site of Lal Kot, the first city of Delhi. The Qutab is the largest freestanding red stone structure in the world and the site of North India’s first mosque. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Takes about an hour to walk through this site.

b) Imperial Delhi, or "New Delhi" - here you can see the buildings that the Raj built. These buildings now symbolise democratic modern India – the President’s House, the Parliament House, and India Gate. Several beautiful museums etc are here. Connaught Place and surrounds are here

c) Mughal Delhi, Shah Jahan's Delhi, or Old Delhi - here you can experience the bustle of life in the Chandni Chowk area, visit the Jama Masjid, Delhi’s famous Friday mosque, and take a cycle-rickshaw ride through the adjoining streets to experience a traditional bazaar area. If you are also going to Agra, you could perhaps skip the Red Fort in Delhi.

If you have more time, then Humayun's Tomb is another UNESCO World Heritage site that you can visit.

Delhi has many other attractions as well, but I think the list above is pretty much what you can cover in two half days with a young child in tow.

- Deepa

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1/2 day tours of Delhi

tour company recomonded by me delhi magic run by ms deepa krishnan just try once you will be never disappointed

have a great time

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1/2 day tours of Delhi

OK Deaprt, I got it now.

One Half Day -

Start with Jantar Mantar (Old Observatory)

Have a look at Parliament and Rashtrapati Bhavan from your car, proceed to Qutub Minar, this takes around 30-45 minutes, then head to Hauz Khas complex, a medieval sub city with an old Islamic seminary, Deer park, water tanks, old architecture and monuments. You may give another one hour here.

Then come to Humayun's tomb for a quick visit and return to your hotel.

Next day, visit Red Fort, Jama Masjid and Chandni Chowk area.

The area has some great hidden places with loads of history. There is a Mosque called Sunehri Masjid (Mosque with golden Dome) and there's an intriguingly named 'Randi ki masjid' ( literally, A prostitute's mosque, it was built a lady Mubarak begum who was mistress of an Englishman, hence the name).

Just opposite Red Fort is an interesting place, the birds hospital run by Jains, an indian religion that respects all life forms and shuns violence in all forms.

Kinari Bazar in Chandni chowk is teh market for wedding accessories, it's so exotic that Indians become wide eyed here. Naughara ( Nine very old houses ) are also nearby giving a hint of how the Delhites lived in Mughal India.

This should be enough for II half day as Old Delhi is a chaotic (but still lovely ! ) place .

Fort Bragg
Level Contributor
35 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1/2 day tours of Delhi

If you are looking for a guide etc.. I would suggest you check with Tibet Tours and Travel office in Majnu Katilla in Delhi... They can help, prices are good and the folks are honest. They have good cars and I hope I am allowed to post their name here because they would be a good call to make in Delhi

7. Re: 1/2 day tours of Delhi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2011, 05:17