We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-day Visit to Delhi

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
2-day Visit to Delhi

I will be visiting Delhi next month and I plan to visit the following sites (I had to narrow down my choices due to time-I only have 2 days--and these interested me the most):

Jama Masjid, Red Fort, Chandni Chowk, Jain Temple, Rajghat, Connaught Place, India Gate, Rajpath, Jantar Mantar, Rashtrapati Bhavan, Humayun’s Tomb, Qutb Minar, and Lotus Temple.

I have already arranged for a car and guide; however, it's up to me as to how long I visit each site and whether, for some, if I need to drive by the site or get out and explore. For example, I know I will need to spend some time at Qutb Minar, but how long? Or for the India Gate--is it suffice to drive by or is it worth a few minutes time to stop and get out? I will be visiting Agra afterwards (Fatehpur, Taj, and Red Fort).

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,610 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-day Visit to Delhi

You need to spend some times at the following spots : Red Fort (30 min), Qutab Minar (20 min), Bahai (Lotus Temple) 30 min, Humayun's Tomb and Jama Masjid ( 15 min each) for photography, rest of the spots can be visited from the vehicle, unless, you dont want to take the photos of the spots.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-day Visit to Delhi

If you have two clear days, It's good enough to experience Delhi. Since you've already hired a car, easier for you. You can divide your days in Old and New Delhi. The best itineary for you is:

Day 1: Start with Qutab Minar (one to one and half hour)> Lotus Temple (one hour, don't forget to sit in silence in the prayer hall)>Akshardham Temple (1 hr. not to be missed, it's a masterpiece)>Humayun Tomb (1 hr)> India gate (30 min. you can just pass through if not interested in photos) >Rajpath (stop for photo to RB>Rashtrapati Bhavan (30 min) >Parliament house (pass through, photo can be shot from Rashtrapati bhawan)> Jantar Manter (30 min)>Connaught place. End

Day2: Start in the morning. Rajghat (30 min) >Jama Masjid (1 hour)> Red Fort (1-2 hrs depends on what you want to do)>Chandani Chowk (walk though and try man-ridden rickshaw and get lost in the magic of old Delhi.

Have lunch at Paratha wali gali. > Jain Temple. End.

Vivek

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-day Visit to Delhi

Thank you very much for the information. It is a big help.

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
86 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-day Visit to Delhi

how did you find your driver? i have been told that finding someone good and trustworthy is difficult. thanks! i too have 2 days in delhi and like the sound of your itinerary. out of curiosity, will you be going to taj mahal? i'm trying to decide if it is worth it. thx!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,309 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-day Visit to Delhi

I would abandon the Red Fort, not because there is no time, but because you are visiting two other similar Mughal Forts (Agra/Sikri). I would also abandon Jantar Mantar if you are visiting Jaipur, as the Observatory is nice.

I would recommend:

Day 1 - Morning 5 hrs Qutb Complex, Humayun's Tomb, Lotus Temple. Late lunch at Khan Market.

Day 2 - Morning Old Delhi 3 hrs part walking part rickshaw. Visit Jama Masjid, Jain Temple, Gurudwara Sees Ganj. Afternoon 3 hrs drive through New Delhi, visit Rajghat.

The afternoon of Day 1 is free. I suggest either Akshardham, or the Crafts Museum, or the outstanding National Museum, or jsut walking through Hauz Khas Village or Dilli Haat.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-day Visit to Delhi

Hi,

It is advisable to visit Jama Masjid, Chandni Chowk, (You mentioned jain temple, could you please advise which Jain Mandir you are talking about), Birla Mandir - Lakshmi Narain Temple drive past through India gate, rajpath, President house, Connaught place, Humayun's tomb, Qutab Minar and Lotus temple.

Regard to the taj mahal trip, it will be enjoyable and time saving doing this by Express train, just two hours journey each way.

Dawanti

Kerala
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-day Visit to Delhi

Recently I visited Chandi Chowk. Avoid that place. visit Akshardam temple ( 5 hrs rqd), central market for indian dresses. Light & sound show Red Fort

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-day Visit to Delhi

I work with a local travel agent where I live...it took a while to find, however. We have used her before for other trips--this will by my first with her using her contacts in India. She did arrange the car/driver and tours for me. Hopefully, the people will show up! Yes, I did arrange (with my travel agent) a 2-night, 3-day (really 2 days when you add it up) side trip to the Taj. Then on to Kathmandu for 3 days. Also, by the way, in a web search recently, I found this website: Toursbylocals.com. It seems you can pre-arrange private day tours for many cities around the world, including for Delhi. I was going to post a forum for that website to see what people's experiences have been with that service.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
307 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2-day Visit to Delhi

Agree with Vivek Askhardam is a "must see". We saw all the other sights on our visit but Askhardam blew me away. Old Delhi is saw Fab!!!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
31 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2-day Visit to Delhi

Taj mahal is always worth to watch till now met thousands of travelers and i don't remember anyone who don't have Taj mahal on their itinerary !