We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to purchase indian women's clothing prior to trip?

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
86 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to purchase indian women's clothing prior to trip?

i am looking to purchase one or two simple linen tunics and flowing pants online to wear while in india during my trip in november. i have heard that doing so might garner more respect in the academia arena. while this might be a misplaced notion, such attire seems extremely cool and comfortable and thus i am happy to oblige. any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to purchase indian women's clothing prior to trip?

The notion is not entirely misplaced. Some modesty in dressing goes a long way. But respect in academic circles, including from students, comes not from what you wear but how you wear it. Dressing western is not the same as dressing sexy.

If you think Indian clothes are going to make you look comic or like "she's trying too hard" then stick with trousers, blouse, and jacket. Skirts, unless they're long, are usually best avoided, IMHO, although not everyone will agree.

My cousin is married to a Canadian lady and she was perfectly fine wearing western clothes to her lectures at a prestigious local engineering college.

Salwar kameezes are fun because you can get away with some outrageously bright colours and still look good. I would advise buying a scarf (dupatta). It adds tenfold grace to the salwar kameez. Try Fab India.http://www.fabindia.com/

Deepa

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to purchase indian women's clothing prior to trip?

Well I think the respect in academic circle flows from your knowledge (If you are a teacher) and ability & aptitude to learn new thing (if you are a student).

But yes looking decent helps in forming an image that you are sincere and you respect local traditions and sensibilities. And wearing trousers and linen tunics will ceratinly do that. In fact wearing anything that's too flashy or bright on campus is not a thing for teachers but studenst do that regularly.

3. Re: Where to purchase indian women's clothing prior to trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 05:31