We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Converting large amount of Cash

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Converting large amount of Cash

Because we are heading into deepest Madhya Pradesh, where our hotels won't take credit cards and we can't pay for safaris by credit card, we are going to need to obtain a large quantity of Rupees, probably 150000!! I will not be able to use cash machines to get this much money (and there will be no cash machines after we leave Khajuraho), so what is the best way to do it? Travellers cheques? In which case Dollars or Pounds? Or am I best to bring Dollars or Pounds in cash to change?

Will banks be happy to change this much in one go?

Goa, India
Level Contributor
322 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Converting large amount of Cash

Tim, If you are bring that much money into the country to may need RBI (Reserve Bank of India) clearance, sums of over GBP 5,ooo require to be registered on arrival. Bring in 15,00,000 rupees equates to arround 21,126 GBPs at todays rates.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Converting large amount of Cash

scotingoa,

You've got one more zero than I posted. I am asking about 1,50,000 rupees, which is just over 2000GBP.

My question still stands about converting.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Converting large amount of Cash

Hi Tim,

You should not have a problem converting that amount in any of the major Metro cities. Which city is your point of entry ? You can just go into any of the private banks, like HDFC or Axis Bank. Or any of the big money changers in the city.

Bring Sterling. Either cash or TC. Why would you need to bring USD when you can exchange your home currency ?

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Converting large amount of Cash

I'm arriving at Delhi, but I don't need the cash until after Khajuraho. Will changing that much cash be possible there, or would I be better doing it in Delhi, where we only have 2 hours or Gwalior, where we travel to next and where we will be for 2 days?

I'll bring Sterling, its just sometimes Dollars are more readily exchangeable, I wasn't sure what was the case in India. My previous trips have involved sufficient time in large towns to enable me to rely on cash and credit cards, but not this time.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Converting large amount of Cash

Tim I'm not sure about Gwalior, they should have private banks there too, but since its a large amount of money, you will have to jump through more hoops than in Delhi where its more commonplace. Change it in Delhi, take a mix of Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes so its easier to carry. You can get change for the 500's in Gwalior without a problem.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Converting large amount of Cash

Brave,

Thanks for the advice. Delhi it is.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Converting large amount of Cash

This is not good. To carry so much cash around. You are going to be driving through places that are not so much on the tourist trail. I would suggest you pre-pay the hotels which are the bulk of the amount anyway. What happened to Travel Bureau? Pay them in advance and ask them to pay the hotels. It's worth paying the agent a fee to take care of payments for you.

- Deepa

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Converting large amount of Cash

Deepa,

An excellent suggestion. Travel Bureau are only arranging my car and some guides. I have booked all the hotels etc. directly, but I could ask Travel Bureau if they would be willing to do that for me for a fee.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Converting large amount of Cash

Tim,

Yes ! It's really risky to carry this much money in cash. While MP in general is safe and people are good but some areas, specially near Chambal belt has a notorious reputation as it was the breeding ground for dreaded robbers. If you can tell what all places are you planing to visit in MP, may be we can provide more specific help.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Converting large amount of Cash

To change money at Khajuraho also will not be a problem as it is very popular tourist place. Gwalior also a big city with all different banks having branches there.

I am sure Travel bureau Agra will be able to help you they are nice people and have offices in Gwalior and Khajuraho.

deepak