We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian airports

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,478 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Indian airports

We've just returned from our fourth trip to India and I must say that every airport we've ever had the misfortune to have to use has been nightmarish. The staff would have to be Indians at their very worst and they really do need to take a good look at themselves if they're serious about tourism and joining the international community.

Rude, angry, arrogant, hair trigger tempers and lies are the order of the day. Staff look at passengers and paperwork as though you're just about to commit some terrible sort of criminal offence for which you'd need to be shot, given the guns slung over shoulders of some officials.

As travelllers to a number of international destinations regularly of course we are aware of the necessity for strict security and sympathise with India who has so many problems to guard against. However, there are many ways to behave and this outright nastiness is the last vision and taste that travellers have of such a wonderful country. Surely it could be handled differently.

To be honest, although we obviously love India, having been there 4 times, the behaviour of many people in official capacities has put us off. It's probably the last time we'll put ourselves into the position of being treated so badly unecessarily. There are lots of other places in the world where the people don't behave in such an aggressive way. We're people and guests in their country, after all, not a smear of garbage on the bottom of their shoes.

Agra Day Tour Packages
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Discover India by Car
Day Trips, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
When In India Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Reality Tours & Travel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indian airports

Trick is to stand your ground with them Kat, don't take any of their crap. I statr with a smile and a Namaskar Ji and find that works wonders. And in honsty I've had very few problems through the years.

But when the going gets tough with them the they get the sharpp edge of my toungue.

I was once herded from pillar to post by immigration one telling me to go and being processed by the other, I moved ques three times, then marched to the official and slammed my passport down in front of him and said stamp NOW or I speak to your superior and enter a complaint in the complaints book, boy did he look shocked and with a shaking hand had me processed in no time.

The roots of this are the contracts for life these people have and as you say many abuse their little bit of power and give India a bad name.

Shame on them.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indian airports

I am sorry that you had bad experiences. The constructive way would be to write to the Tourism Department with specific facts so that they are made aware of these problems. If enough tourists take the trouble to articulate their bad experiences then things will change at a faster pace.

Joint Secretary,

Ministry of Tourism

Government of India

Room No. 123,

Transport Bhawan,

No. 1, Parliament Street,

New Delhi - 110 001 (India)

Telephone: +91 - 11 - 23715084

Telefax : +91 - 11 - 23715084

E-mail : amitabhk@nic.in

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indian airports

and same should be send to managing person at airport ,with advice to give one copy each at emegrationy staff .

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indian airports

"During our first trip some years ago, we felt absolutely daunted and felt relieved when we left. However, we'd only been home a couple of weeks when we both decided that we simply had to come back. So we did - again and again."

Please think of the positives. There must be something you like about India. Otherwise you would not be back so many times. I am assuming you are not making a blanket condemnation of India based on a few bad experiences . You really should write to the Under Secretary who is the highest ranking Civil Servant in that Department. I would also tell you that if Ambika soni is still the Tourism Minister she will be shocked and you will get a reply from both these people.

Having spent the first 35 years of my life in India I am shell shocked by the Airports during my infrequent visits back home.

I also hope my two brothers and their family are all right in Sydney. Usually the sword has 2 edges. I hope you will continue to visit India ....warts and all as the portrait of Cromwell.

Edited: 16 November 2010, 01:07
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,478 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indian airports

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Cyberhippie, you are so right when you say that if niceness doesn't work, becoming a demanding monster, which goes against my naturally gentle grain, is often the only way forward. Traveltom almost fell off his perch when I became a screaching harridan at Chennai airport on the way in. I hated having to do it, but it was the only thing that worked in the ridiculous circumstances.

Thank you pontevecchio for your advice and address for the Ministry of Tourism. I'll certainly give this some serious thought. Of course we love visiting India. There's so many wonderful things to see and places to visit. So many of the people we meet in the street or at various sites have given us warm memories of a friendly and welcoming nation. My post was a concern that both the entry and exit points of the country leave a very sour taste.

We've just been looking at the map to see where we'll go next trip and guess what - Mumbai on the way to Egypt. Are we suckers for punishment or what?

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
47 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indian airports

Oh, oh, Mumbai :-) We were there in march waiting for our driver who did not turn up. As I knew about pre-paid taxis I wanted to turn back to buy a ticket. Oh boy, you saw the old man at the door just growing out of his uniform... "not without my permission" he told us ten times. But with the help AND permission of a nice policeman we got back in to get our ticket. In january we try Delhi... but one of us stays inside... just in case :)!

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indian airports

Bombay or Mumbai as they call it is/was my Home Town. During our last visit there when we were still Indian Citizens we were not overwhelmed by the Immigration People. I was treated very nicely as I spoke a little Marathi and the Officer was ever so polite after that. My wife insisted on speaking English and he was a little abrupt with her. Maybe all in the perception. To my eternal regret I have never visited New Delhi and its been 50 years now.

The policy would be to remain polite and escalate the problem to a more senior Officer as in any country. I remember that I was halted by three Officers one after the other to check the same thing while I was returning to England just before we left.. a long time back and to my surprise I just lost it and yelled at Her and she apologized and waved me through.

The guns are there because of some cross border Idiots and they are quite in evidence in Rome , London and so many other European cities.

Enjoy our trip and hopefully things will improve in India and they will start gettimg more visitors yearly than New York City which would be a start. I am not condoning your experiences. You are right to be angry.

8. Re: Indian airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2011, 06:16