We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur

What is the best way to get from Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur?

Many thanks and a Happy New Year.

England
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur

Hello!

Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur is a long long way. Bandhavgarh is closest to Umaria station - closer to cities in state of MP and Chattisgarh (Raipur, Durg, Bilaspur, Jabalpur). I've been there (actually I was born in the state of chattisgarh ::-)).

Rajasthan (state where jodhpur is) is closer to Delhi

There are good trains from Umaria to Bilaspur - Raipur (in that order) - all in the same route. You can take a train to Raipur (6-7 hours) and then fly from the airport to Delhi and then Delhi to Jodhpur. Jet airways, Kingfisher and Indian airlines operate from there. (Amarkantak Express is one of the trains)

Another way is to take the train up to Bilaspur from Umaria. Then take another train to Jodhpur (30 hours).

Jabalpur also has an airport. So you could take the train in the opposite direction and get down at Jabalpur(3 hours I think), fly to Delhi and then fly to Jodhpur. (Amarkantak Express is one of the trains)

http://wikitravel.org/en/Jodhpur

For trains look on irctc.co.in or use makemytrip.com or cleartrip.com.

For flights use makemytrip.com or cleartrip.com or ixigo.com or the respective airlines websites.

Note that once you reach Delhi, you don't have to take a flight to Jodhpur. Trains and buses operate from there as well. All depends upon your budget.

Any particular reason you want to visit Bandhavgarh? I agree you are more likely to see tigers but Rajasthan has Ranthambore national park as well.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,368 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur

To get from Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur, you can do the following:

1) Train from Katni to Agra and then train from Agra to Jodhpur

2) Train from Katni to Delhi, and then from Delhi to Jodhpur

3) Drive to Jabalpur, fly to Jodhpur via Delhi

You should create an itinerary that does one of these. Whatever's most logical. If you need itinerary help, please post here.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur

Katni - Jaipur - Jodhpur is also a viable route.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur

Katni to Jaipur and then proceeding to Jodhpur is better as 12181 Dayodaya Express runs daily and departs Katni at 21:50 to reach Jaipur at 11:55 AM, so you save time as well as hotel cost.

From there you can take a Taxi/Bus or train to Jaipur.

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur

Thank you all so much for your advices. I am worried about going by car because of the roads--is the road between Umaria and Jabalpur or Umaria and Katni safe? Also, I understand there is a 2-3 hours of driving in between. However, if then I can catch a flight and get to Jodhpur faster I will do that. There is a train from Umaria straight to Delhi (H. Nizamuddin) called Utkal Express 18477 leaving 20:50 arriving 14:05 the next day. It is a very long trip indeed. These difficulties in transportation really scare me to be quite honest. What if a train is delayed? I've heard several hour delays are quite common. If that happens my planned itinerary would be destroyed. Are planes and trains safe?

Edited: 27 December 2010, 18:07
Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur

As I commented in another of your threads (friendly advice...... keep the conversations to one thread, it helps the membership focus on your current/updated plans and thereby help you accordingly) you are trying to cram in a lot, and if you are uncomfortable with long train journeys, it's better to try and concentrate yourself to a managable portion of India. Or fly but that has also a few drawbacks.

All looks easy on a map I know, still make the same mistake myself at times. But delays aren't uncommon (but getting better every year in this respect) and trains and buses are slow covering the territory (fastest train in India only manages 95Kmh and a rounded average sees a speed of 55 -60 Kmh) so though hugely rewarding, travel isn't just a case of covering the distances in few short hours, often it takes a big chunk out of your time. Like a half day, or a whole day coupled with an overnight train.

All the places your imagination has taken you, in your planned visit to India have a magic all of their own, wonderful places to visit amongst the most popular no doubt.

However, Inda as destination, is only in part "portrayed" in it's wealth of forts, temples, and natural beauty.

There's a human vibrance apparent everywhere......

People will forget the architects, the Emperors the sufi family, Gandhi, the moghuls, Asoka, the facts behind the incredible story of the Taj, Afghani royal families....

Many who "take to" India, will remember the oddities and beauty of the things you see around you everywhere....

The people swallowing spiced filled leaves from complicated street stals (paan), the resulting red teeth, Cows wandering the streets, the brash colours of India, chaos with underlying kindness, Sadhus, monkeys lining the telegraph wires, honest smiles, hardship, families eaqer to talk to you, rag tag wedding bands, honey mooning couples, Indfia style.... and so many things you won't have experienced at home.

If I went to India and never seen a monument I reckon Iwould not come home disappointed.

It's not ONLY about the undoutably wonderful "sites

It's India!!!!!!!!! It will shake your foundations... if you let her.

So plan accordingly!

Don't pack in too much, then sit back and enjoy.

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur

Thank you cyberhippie, such a sweet and warm recount about India; it brought a smile to my face.

Anyways, I think I got it down to something manageable. Comments are greatly appreciated.

1. Umaria to Agra via Utkal Express 18477. Departs 20:50. 14 hours later arrives in Agra at 10:45 am..

2. Next day: Agra to Delhi by plane (King Fisher). Leaves 12:10 pm. Arrives to Delhi at 13:10pm.

3. Delhi to Jodhpur by plane. Jet Airways. Leaves 14:00 pm. Arrives to Jodhpur at 15:00 pm. There is another plane air India that leaves at 13:05. Just maybe I would be able to catch it?

Your comments are very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur

Looks good!! book ahead if you know your dates now.

www.cleartrip.com

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur

Thanks. Cleartrip is great. The only problem is that there is a wait list on the train schedule. 2 months ahead of time! What should I do? Suggestions?

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bandhavgarh to Jodhpur

Strange i found lots of availability when I looked, what's you exact date of travel?