We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to take trains in India?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to take trains in India?

I'm planning to go to New Delhi -Agra - Jaipur this year with another friend. We are both female travellers and am just wondering, is it safe to travel by train? I love train rides and heard a great deal about Indian railways. I think it would be a good adventure to at least experience one train ride there e.g. Delhi - Agra. However, I'm still wondering if it's safe. Any assurance out there?

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
36,422 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to take trains in India?

Yes, train journey in the mentioned circuit is absolutely safe. You'll get AC coaches, which will be convenient for you.

Edited: 13 January 2011, 06:52
Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to take trains in India?

Absoltuely safe and great fun.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to take trains in India?

Forgot to add that while I would take the train to Agra, I would hire a car for Jaipur, the reason being that you can stop off to visit Fakepur Sikri. We flew from delhi to Varanasi then took the overnight train to Agra, then a car to Jaipur.

UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to take trains in India?

It is safe just take 2nd A/C or 3rd A/C.. as they were very safe and you'll be comfortable !

Cheers !

Clarck

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to take trains in India?

I would totally agree with the above post..

Enjoy your trip :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to take trains in India?

thanks folks for the replies and assurance! just need to make sure i know which is the right train to take as india has extensive railway connection. how long would the journey take from delhi to agra?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,476 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to take trains in India?

For Delhi to Agra, the best train is the 12002 Bhopal Shatabdi which is a 2-hour journey. See this link for timings, cost, and availability for your dates: http://erail.in?T=NDLS::AGC:

The class to book in this express train is Chair Car (CC).

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to take trains in India?

thanks deepa.2 hours is manageable. honestly, i can never understand what is CC or 2nd A/C or 3rd A/C. I guess I just need to read up more :)

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to take trains in India?

What you need is the Man in Seat 61's India page http://www.seat61.com/India.htm . The 8 classes of Indian trains is all explained with photos and much much more.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to take trains in India?

Dear,

Welcome to india . this tour is perfect. even in india the best way to travel is train,it is only when you gat confirm tickets.if not then better in car. for train reservation you can check :=

www.cleartrip.com

www.indianrail.gov

if you hire a car so i can give you a idea about the rates.so no body can cheat you.to hire car for this triangle .Rs.9000 to Rs.12000.this price includes.driver,petrol,parking,toll tax.for 5 nights about.

Train option :you can get train to agra from delhi shatabdi exp.

this train leaves delhi at 6.00 am and comes in agra at 8.00am only two hours.

when you arrives in agra , you can hire a car for Rs.1500 to Rs.2000.this is for 10 hours.

Delhi : Red fort,jama masjid,Qutub minar,loutus temple,india gate,akshardham temple, president house

Agra: Taj mahal, Agar fort,Fatehpur sikri, Itmad ud dula,Baby Taj ,

Jaipur : Amber fort, Hawa mahal, Jal mahal, Jantar manter, City place. Chowki dani (evening event : with dinner created village).

this price also includes,driver,parking,toll tax.

Notice: Taj mahal is closed on Friday.

ragards

Raja