We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - concern about Monsoon July-August.

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Help - concern about Monsoon July-August.

Dear all,

I am free to travel to India between the 12th of July and 12th of August 2011, and am considering the following itinerary:

Delhi, Jaisalmer/ Thar Desert, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Pushkar, Jaipur, Bharatpur, Agra, Varanasi, Kolkata

However, I am very concerned about the potential impact of the monsoon, especially after the extreme weather of 2010. Does persistent rain make things miserable and unpleasant, and does it make travel difficult?

Is it best to simply avoid this trip at this time and wait for another year, or is another area of India more advisable?

I would be immensely grateful for any advice.

Kind regards,

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - concern about Monsoon July-August.

I'm not sure if Bharatpur will be open in the monsoon; please check.

Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Pushkar, Jaipur are in Rajasthan, which receives only 1% of the country's entire rainfall. So these places make sense in the monsoon. Last July I travelled to Jodhpur, Pushkar, Jaipur and found it very pleasant.

There will be rain in Delhi and Agra, but it doesn't always rain all day long. There are some wet spells but there are also dry days or days with just a little rain. This page shows you last year's rainfall in July in Delhi:

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html On the same website you can also look up Varanasi and Kolkata.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - concern about Monsoon July-August.

We did almost exactly your itinerary in late July and early August and saw not one spot of rain!! This cannot be guaranteed, but as Deepa has said most of Rajasthan is desert and that is for a reason, it gets very little rain, even in the monsoon.

The temperature was hot, but providing you have an airconditioned car and airconditioned hotels it was fine.

Bharatpur was open at that time of year in 2009.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - concern about Monsoon July-August.

No, I wouldn' change your plans because you can never tell with the weather. Our friends were there last year at the same time and although they did have rain in some places it didn't spoil their trip.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - concern about Monsoon July-August.

Thank you all very much!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - concern about Monsoon July-August.

I fully agree with all the previous posts. IMO a bit of rain does add a flavor to the tour. I'd rather love a bit of rain in steaming Delhi. Since you are likely to use car for site-seeing, it will be great fun.

Go ahead with your plan!

Vivek

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - concern about Monsoon July-August.

In Kolkatta some times it rains heavily but not at other places on your ity.

deepak

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - concern about Monsoon July-August.

Hi guys, I will be visiting india in august from 27 til 09 sept, wil be in chennai from 27 til 31 august then goin to dehli, please advise on monsoon during this timeframe

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - concern about Monsoon July-August.

Ashensingh,

I don't think monsoon will affect ur travel and as one of my friend said before- little bit of rain will add flavour to your travel.

deepak

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - concern about Monsoon July-August.

Hi thank you deepak

10. Re: Help - concern about Monsoon July-August.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 10:20