We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am working on my Itinerary...Any Suggestions?

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
I am working on my Itinerary...Any Suggestions?

Any suggestions on where to stay on a tight budget in peak season? I really don't know what the prices are in peak season. I would like to keep it to a dull roar if possible. Hoping for no more than 1500rs. (...OK so that's exactly a dull roar but the lower the better.)

I am going to Dehli / Paipur - may-be / Goa/ and last night in Dehli. I love to shop, love the beach, tours and of course eating street food. I am not sure which city in what order is best ~ please advise...

I have some places of interest to see...

Chowk Market in Delhi (...Best market in Delhi - use a richshaw)

Akshardham Temple in Delhi (...read it was better than Tai Mahal)

Jaipur - (...the Pink City with bustling bazaars etc.) Johari Bazaar, Tripolia Bazaar, Bapu Bazaar and Chandpol Bazaar all inside the wall. City Palace.

I want to have some clothes made. Where's the best city for this keeping in mind where I will be? Wanting to have this made - a couple of choli with dupatta.... (I think that's what it called?)

Edited: 08 May 2011, 21:24
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am working on my Itinerary...Any Suggestions?

I meant to say 1500rs is not exactly a dull roar.

UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: I am working on my Itinerary...Any Suggestions?

I think it is possible !

Chandni chowk in delhi is kind of best place for shopping and cycle rickshaw is a great idea in that area.

Cheers !

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,866 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I am working on my Itinerary...Any Suggestions?

Hi,

In my opinion it is possible in this budget. You can go for golden triangle ie Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Delhi and Goa.In Delhi chandni chowk is a good option for shopping.I think Jaipur is good for fabric. Dont ignore Taj Mahal.

Thanks Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am working on my Itinerary...Any Suggestions?

Thanks all! That is just what I wanted to know about shopping!

Rashidagraind...

OK so Taij is worth seeing. I'm wondering if Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Delhi and Goa would be too much.. you know - a bit overwhelming, especially on a 2 week trip. I was trying to edit out things that I didn't really need to see on my first trip. *I have to shop & I have to go to Goa for some beach time. (...A lot!)

You mentioned I could find somewhere to stay for 1500rs (it can be a little higher if needed. (...Chances are good it will be higher in peak season.)

Could you name a place or 2 near Karol Bagh? I'm OK with a 2 or 3 star Hotel as long as it's clean (no bugs) and safe.

Any suggestions would sure make my day!

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,964 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am working on my Itinerary...Any Suggestions?

There is no comparison between Akshardham Temple and Taj Mahal. Akshardham temple built just 4-5 years back and Taj Mahal a world heritage site built little less then four hundred years ago with limited gadgets and tools.

deepak

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am working on my Itinerary...Any Suggestions?

I think it would be easy enough to get a well-priced package deal with a known tour operator for the Golden Triangle (i.e. Delhi-Agra-Jaipur). This might even work out cheaper, as a bundle.

If not, you could easily hire a taxi from Delhi and visit the Taj in Agra in a day, you don't have to stay the night (although some "tour guides" hanging around the Taj will insist it's worth a view at night as well, which will also cost you a potential second entry ticket - not worth it if you're on a tight budget). Make sure you take your camera, leave Delhi early in the morning, have lunch in Agra after viewing the Taj and you'll be back in Delhi by night fall, if the traffic behaves.

I doubt you'll need more than a couple of days in Jaipur either, unless you want to. If you're booking yourself, the state tourism board (Rajasthan) offers some budget accommodation and you can check reviews on here for honest opinions.

Delhi will probably be the best place to have your clothes made. But again, if you're limited for time, visit Fabindia for off-the-rail versions of what you're after and then you can have a tailor alter them if you want. The staff are very helpful and used to tourists and the clothes last and are well-designed, all for a good cause. They should be able to help if you want a tailor as well, just ask them for suggestions. This link will give you store locations: http://www.fabindia.com/stores/ I can't really suggest places to stay near Karol Bagh, as I wouldn't know, but there are many nice hotels in central Delhi (Connaught Place area) and South Delhi (the posh part of town).

As for Goa, it seems like you know exactly where you want to go already :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am working on my Itinerary...Any Suggestions?

Aimless...

Thank-you so much! I didn't have a clue where to start. So far I've discovered that it's very cold in Dec/Jan in Delhi but much warmer South. I was considering Goa because it's popular and nice & warm. I don't like isolated beaches.

I've since heard that Mumbai is warm and really nice. I'm still researching as I don't know anything about Mumbai? Are there beaches and shopping in Mumbai? What is the main tourist attraction in Mumbai??

OK so Delhi is the place to shop and have clothes made. After looking at the Jaipur forum I think I've changed my mind about going there.

I just discovered that Connaught Place is the hub and Karol Bag is good for street food and shopping.

I assume Karol Bag is cheaper as it's the backpacker area. Is Karol Bag referred to as the old city? I did read that the old city is quite run down. Is Chandni Chowk Market in Karol Bag?

I have found few budget hotels in Karol Bag with decent reviews....

Pawan Plaza Hotel (In room safe, location, rates start $26. (POPULAR!)

Hotel Ivory Palace (Safety Box, good location)

Royal Holidays Hotel (Excellent location, safety box)

Hotel Star World

Ambica Deluxe Hotel (Safety Box)

If you know of any budget hotels in Connaught Place it would really be appreciated.

Edited: 13 May 2011, 06:33
Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,866 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I am working on my Itinerary...Any Suggestions?

Hi,

Your view for shopping in Jaipur is great.

Delhi
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: I am working on my Itinerary...Any Suggestions?

Taj Mahal in Agra is little further from Delhi. So it would be little heavy on your budget and time if you decide to visit there. i believe you won't miss Taj Mahal after viewing Akshardham.

Someone said it right that you can't compare Akshardham with Taj Mahal. One being Temple and other being grave.

agra
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I am working on my Itinerary...Any Suggestions?

can u tell me where did u read that akshardham is better than tajmahal plz.