We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foodies in India

Level Contributor
1,346 posts
393 reviews
Save Topic
Foodies in India

Hello Delhi Forum

My spouse and I have booked a two week holiday (13 1/2 nights) and will be on a private tour commencing the second week in February. We will be in Delhi for 3 nights.

Our breakfasts are included but we require recommendations for dinner.

We are foodies. Our driver is at our disposal so location may not be an issue. We are at the Hilton.

We would appreciate recommendations. Also, we are travelling light and want to avoid places where a jacket and tie are required. We would appreciate dress codes for your restaurant suggestions.

Much thanks.

Trinetra Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Driver India Private Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
Discover India by Car
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
When In India Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foodies in India

Bukhara - Maurya Hotel. Its a 5 star so a little pricy. Casuals should do. Excellent food - best for dinner

Gulatis - Pandara Road. Causals - best for dinner

Haldirdams - its a chain, veg street food but very hygenic, try the one in lajpat nagar market. Try lunch or dinner

Karims - not sure of the locations. google it. meat lovers delight. i'm a veggie :) Try lunch.

Zest - Emporio mall i think in vasant kunj. Not indian food. great ambiance for an evening.

Navadyam - In hauz khas village, amazing south indian restaurat, google it. Best for dinner

Parathe Wali Gali - I dobut if you can handle it but its in Old Delhi near Red fort. its a street with hawkers making parathe (indian bread). As authentic as it gets. Karim's is in the area too. Eat at your own risk!

All restaurants are casual dining. I grew up in the area, enjoy! :)

Edited: 09 November 2011, 20:55
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foodies in India

Defence Colony has a lot of pubs so if you are into that sort of stuff.

McDonalds in India is actually not all that bad so if you are in a hurry or going cheap

Spice Route or Silk Routh, can't remember in Imperial hotel is excellent too. South East Asian food, not indian, 5 star hence pricy.

Level Contributor
1,346 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foodies in India

Thanks for your prompt reply and varied recommendations.

The caution to eat at your own risk has me a bit unnerved. I suspect we will avoid gratuitous pain and skip it.

We don't eat McDonalds. in fact, we don't eat any western fast food except French fries, which we love.

We are meat eaters but don't eat mystery meat (ground meat, sausages, etc) as we are concerned about Mad Cow or BSE. Vegetarian options are just fine. We eat a lot of Indian food locally and are not deterred by highly spiced food. We love goat and lamb.

We made our decision to travel very quickly and without any research to speak of. More along the lines of we can't go back to yet another Caribbean or Mexican resort to escape the Canadian winter. Let's do something really different . And so here we are, planning a trip to India.

I’m not familiar with the districts you mentioned but tomorrow, I’ll buy some travel books at my local book chain and bring myself up to speed.

Again thank you and please feel free to weigh in with any more recommendations and suggestions.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foodies in India

My suggestions:

Bukhara - Sheraton, S P Marg

Smoke House Grill

Setz

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,392 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foodies in India

This is a great site for foodies in Delhi

http://www.foodenthusiastsofdelhi.com/

from wales
Level Contributor
257 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foodies in India

I have eaten in these three places more than once and always received great food and service - Alfa Spice, by the ring road.... the most expensive of the 3, not many tourists been there when I have but the locals have been very welcoming, no tie needed. The original Moti Mahal in Daryaganj... about 200/300 rps a dish, supposedly famous for butter chicken but Im a vegie so cannot comment on this, open lunchtimes also, no tie needed and my favourite is Suruchi in Karol Bagh who do a range of different thalis depending on your taste - think its less than 300rps per head, food there is very good and plentiful, the waiters continuously fill up your dish, and its a good way to try lots of different things, again not many tourists but gets quite busy so we tended to go early in the evening and no tie required.

Andrea

from wales
Level Contributor
257 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foodies in India

almost forgot.... if you fancy a change then The Big Chill in the area of GK1 does fabulous Italian... a very unassuming looking place in the middle of a row of shops, you go up the stairs and its wonderful!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Foodies in India

You have to go to BUKHARA and try their sikandari raan (lamb). Though i'm a veggie, I've heard people say its the best they've had in their li

Level Contributor
1,346 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foodies in India

So many suggestions, so little time. My mouth is watering.

Thank you so much.

Again, please do not hesitate to make suggestions. My view is that TA members are the very best sources of information and I use this site regularly with a great deal of success.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Foodies in India

Brave1,

Thanks for putting that up. The site coordinator Shashank is a friend.

Another great site is http://chefatlarge.in . The owner Sid Khullar is a foodie.