We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help With Itinerary--have information overload

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help With Itinerary--have information overload

The more I read in Fodor's and other books, and on trip advisor I get more stressed because of the different recommendations made--but I suppose that is the "fun" of planning a trip. However, I feel I am running out of time because we (husband, 25yr. old son, and me) are planning a trip to India leaving after Christmas and before New Year. The itinerary so far is as follows-fly to New Delhi from Los Angeles, and stay 1 or 2 nights, overnight train with separate sleeper compartment to Varanasi (stay 2 nights), overnight train to Agra (stay1night), Jaipur( 2nights), train or fly to Mumbai (2nights) and fly back to Los Angeles. I like the trains because they are suppose to be very dependable and I think interesting. Does anyone have suggestions regarding transportation, reversing itinerary, hiring car and driver on certain route, hotels (no Oberois, or guest houses but 3-4star), is group tour possible for the Golden Triangle part and do Varanasi on our own? We want to do it under 2 weeks. Thanks for even a little bit of feeedback. Schnappi

UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help With Itinerary--have information overload

I think its better if you make it like

delhi - jaipur - agra by car and then overnight train to varanasi + other overnight train to delhi from varanasi.

cheers !

clarck

sydney
Level Contributor
385 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help With Itinerary--have information overload

Hi Schnappi

I agree with csam. Varanasi is a fascinating place to visit but it is very intense - somewhat like a view of all India in one small, very crowded area. If you havent been to India before, it would be better to give yourself an opportunity to "acclimatise" in Rajasthan first.

A second point; if you plan to stay in more popular hotels, you should consider booking soon as that can be a busy time.

Enjoy your holiday

Edited: 16 November 2011, 19:08
agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help With Itinerary--have information overload

Hi Schnappi,

Ur plan is perfact. One thing u should keep in mind due to foggy weather many trains are delayed for hrs or get cancelled in Dec-Jan It is difficult to get reservation also at last moment. My suggestion is to stay around in golden triangle area. U can visit Mathura & Vrindavan another very holy place for Hindus and birth place of Lord Krishna in place of Varanasi. This you can do by hiring a car for the whole trip so that ur movement is not affected by fog or delayed or cancelled trains.

deepak

Lucknow, India
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help With Itinerary--have information overload

ya i also totally agree with Mr. Deepak. you can also add Lucknow also. for historical monuments and for chikan cloth shopping.

5. Re: Need Help With Itinerary--have information overload

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2012, 10:26