We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going alone to India with kids in July..ideas pls

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
Going alone to India with kids in July..ideas pls

I am going to India after 20yrs with my two sons (9&10). This is their first trip to India. When I went with my parents when i was little we had a lot family. The experience was amazing. Now we only have a great grandmother and no cousins to guide us. The kids have gone in the summers to places like Bahamas, Caribbean islands and cruises. I hate to admit but they are used to some level of comfort.

We are going in July, will be staying in faridabad with my parents who are there on business. So will be in Delhi for 5 days and then need to be in Ludhiana for a wedding. Please suggest places to see and things to do in Delhi and Ludhiana.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer. also anything u suggest that I should take from here (US)

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going alone to India with kids in July..ideas pls

Delhi has many places for sightseeing. Faridabad is far from Delhi. About an 35 to 45 minutes driving. Hire a car and driver. July you can expect the monsoon to be a dampener. Old Delhi, Humayun's tomb, Qutub Minar are must see.

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going alone to India with kids in July..ideas pls

you can add agra city for one day trip by train. There is a good train connection between the two cities.Bhopal shatabdi express train gives plenty of time to do a tour in Agra. Timings for train Delhi to Agra-----6--8.30am

Agra to Delhi-----20--22.30

Thanks

Rashidagraindia

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going alone to India with kids in July..ideas pls

Hi,

You may add Jaisalmer, Udaipur and Jaipur to your list. Unfortunately, the season you have chosen is not right. Otherwise you could have visited Kerala and Goa.

Have a wonderful time.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
729 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going alone to India with kids in July..ideas pls

In Delhi, popular attractions include Red Fort, Humayun's Tomb, Jama Masjid, Qutub Complex, National Museum, Rajpath, India Gate, Purana Qila, Lotus Temple, Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, and Akshardham Temple..

You could plan your itinerary as:

Day 1: Start off with an early morning visit to the Red Fort and later walk over to the Jama Masjid. Walk & shop in the streets Chandni Chowk. Before sunset visit the Humayun's Tomb and Purana Qila.

Day 2: Parliament house, India Gate, National Museum & Qutab Minar.

Day 3: Akshardham (early in the day before crowd starts pouring in).. is a visual delight with carved details of flora, fauna, dancers, musicians and deities. Within the complex you could visit - Hall of Values which features incidents from Swaminarayan's life through robotics, light & sound effects & music; An IMAX theatre showing a small movie on Neelkanth's life; A superbly executed Musical Fountain in the evening; A boat ride taking visitors on a journey through Indian history. The whole thing takes 3-4 hours and is quite a satisfying experience at the end. Would recommend it specially for kids.

Day 4: Day visit to Taj Mahal & Agra fort.

Pls keep note that most of the monuments & govt. run museums are closed on Monday. Taj Mahal is closed on Friday

Delhi
Level Contributor
70 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going alone to India with kids in July..ideas pls

Hi,

Give your kids a feel of the real Delhi, i.e. get them to use the Metro, go to the National Museum, ride on cycle-rickshaws, and then head towards Saket and show them the mall culture. There are also some great theatre plays that you could go for.

Faridabad has very little to offer, but you could go for a trip to Agra. The problem is that in July it rains, and that typically can play a spoil sport.

Cheers,

induspride911

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going alone to India with kids in July..ideas pls

for travel to Ludhiana take the Amritsar/ swaran shatabdi express and there is not much to see in Ludhiana so it is better to take the kids to Amritsar and head to the golden temple and the Jalianwalan Bagh and in the evening you must take them for the border flag down parade between the India and Pakistan border line of control - it is a must visit and the kids are gonna love it: this can be done in 1 full day as Amritsar is just a 2 hours drive from Ludhiana

also Faridabad is closer to Agra so a visit to the Taj Mahal is a must and if you have more days with you then you should include a Jaipur visit too, to complete your golden triangle - which is one of the hottest selling destinations : this can be done in 2 nights 3 days, in case you only wish to visit Agra then it needs 1 full day and you can be back in faridabad by the night

New Delhi has a lot to be seen take a full day taxi tour which usually includes

Qutab Minar

Red Fort

Lotus Temple

Delhi Zoo

Birla Temple

Akshardham temple and shows along with musical fountain

Drive past India Gate

other than that you can visit the super luxury malls of Vasant Kunj - one of its kind in India and houses all popular brand from India and the west- all big designers have their store in the Emporio Mall the likes of Armani and Gucci, Ect

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Going alone to India with kids in July..ideas pls

Agra day trip from Faridabad will be a shorter ride. Consider that as well amongst all the above good suggestions.

8. Re: Going alone to India with kids in July..ideas pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:43