We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switching airlines @ DEL

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Switching airlines @ DEL

I am planning a trip from Dhaka to DEL via Jet Airways. After which I plan to take Air India or AirFinn from DEL to Toronto.

I have a Canadian passport so I was wondering how would that work. For me to switch airlines using a separate ticket, I will have to collect baggage and then check-in for the 2nd leg. Normally we need a visa to enter India. For something like this would I require visa?

Thanks

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
729 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switching airlines @ DEL

Hi, If you are flying both legs with Jet Airways, you need not collect your luggage. In this case the airline will check it through. You do not need a visa if you stay within the International airport transit lounge/area.

Going anywhere else even inside the airport will require a visa. Even collecting your luggage will need a visa, as you you have to take your luggage and do the check in again

A transit visa is required at the very least. If you have to do it both ways, I suggest you get a multiple entry visa with re-entry stamp.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switching airlines @ DEL

all you need to do is give your jet airways baggage tags at the counter of air india/finnair(whichever you decide upon) at the time of your arrival in Delhi and while your next boarding pass is issued the airline officials will collect the baggage on your behalf

that's what usually happens when you do not have a transit visa but then you can never be sure if they did manage to get hold of your luggage or not

its definitely advisable to travel with Jet Airways on both legs of your travels

3. Re: Switching airlines @ DEL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:42