We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping - silver and benarisi

Arenas de San...
Level Contributor
747 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping - silver and benarisi

Namaste,

Wanted to buy some traditional silver earrings and benaris saris on my trip to India. What would you suggest? Buy from the govt emporiums mentioned on this forum? Other shops?

Mentioned in this post
agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,169 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping - silver and benarisi

If i am right Dariba Kalan for silver jewellary and Benarasi Sari at Chandni chowk and Karol Bagh.

You can search for "India in a bag ........ thread started by SanjayJK and that has lot of information. For a tourist it is difficult to find Govt. Emporiums as there are many fakes with similar names,

deepak

Edited: 03 June 2012, 07:47
Mentioned in this post
Chandni Chowk
Chandni Chowk
3,702 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Karol Bagh
Karol Bagh
131 Reviews
New Delhi, India
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping - silver and benarisi

Yes For Traditional Earring you can Visit Dariba Kalan, Bhogal Market, South Extention, Karol Bagh where you can find good designs too.

In Chandini Chock there are many sari shop's where you will find Banarsi Silk Sari.

Mentioned in this post
Karol Bagh
Karol Bagh
131 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Delhi
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping - silver and benarisi

I recommend you to go to Government emporium or authorized shops to get the best of Benarasi Silk. The other shopping hotspots in Delhi is Chandni Chowk and Karol Bagh.

you can visit Dariba Kalan ,Karol Bagh and Janpath for traditional silver jewellery.

Mentioned in this post
Chandni Chowk
Chandni Chowk
3,702 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Karol Bagh
Karol Bagh
131 Reviews
New Delhi, India
The Janpath Hotel
The Janpath Hotel
242 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Delhi
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping - silver and benarisi

I recommend you to go to Government emporium or authorized shops to get the best of Benarasi Silk. The other shopping hotspots in Delhi is Chandni Chowk and Karol Bagh.

you can visit Dariba Kalan ,Karol Bagh and Janpath for traditional silver jewellery.

Mentioned in this post
Chandni Chowk
Chandni Chowk
3,702 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Karol Bagh
Karol Bagh
131 Reviews
New Delhi, India
The Janpath Hotel
The Janpath Hotel
242 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Arenas de San...
Level Contributor
747 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping - silver and benarisi

Thanks. What is the norm at the places recommended above? Label price or haggling?

Delhi
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping - silver and benarisi

very difficult to set a norm. You will have to use your discretion and exercise some haggling. At emporiums you will not be able to haggle. You will find out from the look of the shop mainly.

Last suggestion I will give is that at the end look for a quality product , with a price that you are ready to pay ( perceived value), thats the only thing that will matter. Otherwise the right price is a relative price.

Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
880 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping - silver and benarisi

Hi

Something I found on TA..

*SILVER JEWELRY*

SHY: Dariba in Chandni Chowk, Delhi.

Buy anklets, chokers and waist belts at any of the shops in this galli. Amrapali [countrywide] is just the place for silver jewellery contemporary as well as old world. If you visit Mount Abu, make sure you check out the jewellery shops there.

ARADHANA: I love shopping for silver in the markets of Kutch. Another find is Toda tribal silver jewellery from Ooty. Amrapali is another favourite.

SHAGUN: Suhani Pittie in Hyderabad is very con- temporary with a style of its own.

ROSHNI: Johri Bazaar in Jaipur, because you can get best prices. You'll get toe-rings fitted that you might not want to take off for years.

RESHMI: In Bangalore, Commercial Street is silver jewellery heaven. Try Kusuma Harnath Jewellers and the small shops on the nearby Jeweller's Street. For designer silver in Bangalore, try One G, in Indiranagar's Defence Colony.

FIONA: Silverline, Bengali Market and Khan Market, Delhi.

Famous for well-priced silver jewellery with semi-precious stones. Half of the fun is the searching through drawer upon drawer of treasures. Maneeka at Chameliwala Bazaar, Jaipur, for genuine old tribal silver jewellery

Regards

Sam

Groowynd Holidays

Mentioned in this post
Chandni Chowk
Chandni Chowk
3,702 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Mount Abu
Mount Abu
Sirohi District, India
Ooty (Udhagamandalam)
Ooty (Udhagamandalam)
The Nilgiris District, India
Hyderabad
Hyderabad
Hyderabad District, India
Johri Bazaar
Johri Bazaar
92 Reviews
Jaipur, India
Jaipur
Jaipur
Jaipur District, India
Khan Market
Khan Market
526 Reviews
New Delhi, India
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping - silver and benarisi

When you go at private shops. Silver is sold according to market price + making charges.

Every label has there own making charges. The bigger shop of go pay higher making charges this is the norm.

Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
880 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping - silver and benarisi

Hi

Would like to add this link

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g304551-i3482-k3596…

Regards

Sam

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping - silver and benarisi

the best shop for silverware and silver jewelry is the

1. "Beli Ram Tara Chand" they have showrooms in South Ex, Karol Bagh and chandni Chowk

2. "I.P. Jewelers" in Karol - also called the silver king of Delhi

3. "MMTC"- owned by the Govt- have their showroom on Pusa Road

for Sari's the best showroom would be "Nalli" in South EX

Mentioned in this post
Karol Bagh
Karol Bagh
131 Reviews
New Delhi, India