We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connaught Place more accessible/lively than Karol Bagh?

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
734 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Connaught Place more accessible/lively than Karol Bagh?

Hi New Delhi forum!

I will be spending 2 full days in Delhi prior to departing on my Rajasthan tour in February. I'll be visiting as a solo female (30's).

Initially, I thought the Karol Bagh area would be best (lower priced / often recommended for tourists). However, I'm beginning to think that Connaught Place would best suit my needs.

I plan on sightseeing using the metro, walking and auto-rickshaws if the site isn't within walking distance. I've also read to avoid the metro during rush hours - so I would travel between 10am-4pm'ish.

During the evenings, I would prefer to be within walking distance of restaurants, shops, atmospheric early evening strolls and live music venues (not clubs, but more like a 3-piece band playing in a pub haha).

So is Connaught Place right for me? Or is there another area that you recommend?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
729 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connaught Place more accessible/lively than Karol Bagh?

Both Karol Bagh & Connaught Place are well connected to the sightseeing destinations in Delhi by metro, auto-rickshaw's & Ho Ho buses. You'll find good markets at both places too.

Pro's:

Karol Bagh -

Budget accommodation easily available

Well connected to sightseeing destinations & markets

Cheaper markets

Good for jewellery shopping

Connaught Place -

Quality accommodation and slightly higher price

Well connected to sightseeing destinations & markets

Branded outlets are easily available.

Good quality restaurants and pubs with decent crowd

Place is cleaner and good for early morning / late evening stroll

Con's:

Karol Bagh -

More crowded

Difficult to escape out of those by-lanes & main roads.

Connaught Place -

Expensive comparative to Karol Bagh.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,337 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connaught Place more accessible/lively than Karol Bagh?

Hi,

Titus has said the pro's and con's of both places nicely. However, the advantage of Karol Bagh is you will find small botique hotels like Bajaj Homestay and Hotel Woodcastle which have good reviews on the forum. I myself prefer staying in Karol Bagh due to the amenities in walking distance, although I have the budget to stay in any posh hotel in CP. Its the atmosphere that matters to me. CP is any any case only a short auto rickshaw ride away, so it hardly matters.

Edited: 11 July 2012, 06:59
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connaught Place more accessible/lively than Karol Bagh?

no doubt CP is the better place to stay at and i mean connaught place is a good place and not pahar ganj but it is expensive as well, if the costs don't bother you then CP is the best place in Delhi for a traveler

Delhi
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Connaught Place more accessible/lively than Karol Bagh?

Yes connaught place is a good place to walk and apart from that janpath is very near to it.It is also a good place to walk around.

Edited: 11 July 2012, 13:14
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connaught Place more accessible/lively than Karol Bagh?

Watch out for the scams though. CP is notorious for scams. Google and ye shall find :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
734 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connaught Place more accessible/lively than Karol Bagh?

Thanks to everyone for their input! You've given so many valid points.

I have already booked 2 refundable hotels:

Wood Castle in Karol Bagh = 6,000 INR for 2 nights (booking.com)

Apartment 52 in CP = 10,000 INR for 2 nights (agoda.com) - which I think is a pretty good deal for a hotel in that area (right?? lol).

Although Wood Castle isn't that far from CP, I like having the option of strolling in the evening (after dinner) without having to think about taking transit back to the hotel...and it appears that CP is the place to be for restos, etc.

Deepa - thanks for the heads-up on the scams in CP...Delhi is sounding more like Europe every day ;o).

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connaught Place more accessible/lively than Karol Bagh?

One more point, boarding a Metro Train from CP (Rajiv Chowk Station) is a big challenge at any time of the day. It's always overcrowded.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
734 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connaught Place more accessible/lively than Karol Bagh?

Thanks for chiming in K_Yogi!

Do you mean overcrowded as in "do-able but uncomfortable" or as in "don't even think about it"? I also heard there is a woman only car at the front of each train...if I'm sandwiched between people, might as well be with my sisters :o).

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connaught Place more accessible/lively than Karol Bagh?

It'll be crowded but manageable in women only coaches. Don't think about mixed gender coaches. The 'Sisters Coach' is the first coach in the direction of train and is denoted by pink markings on the platform floor. Happy Journey !

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
734 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connaught Place more accessible/lively than Karol Bagh?

Thanks for the extra tips K_Yogi!!