We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siteseeing/Logistics help for 2 days in New Delhi and Agra

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Siteseeing/Logistics help for 2 days in New Delhi and Agra

We will are 3 women flying into Delhi in mid-Sept arriving Mon at 8:30 pm after a 15 hr flight. We have 2 days before flying to Pune on Thu am.

We will stay at a hotel next to the Delhi airport on Mon and Wed nights. We are staying at a Agra hotel close to the Taj Mahal on Tue night. We plan on using a driver/car and the new Expressway to cut travel time.

A few options:

1. Go to 2 sites in Delhi on the way to the Expressway (Kutub Minar, Bahai/Lotus Temple) then on to Agra shortly after lunch. See Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri sites on Tue late afternoon then see Taj on Wed am. Drive back to Delhi and see other sites (Akshardham Temple, Laal Kila) on Wed late afternoon. Is the traffic so heavy in the afternoons both directions that we will lose too much time?

2. Tour all 4 sites in Delhi on Tue, then drive to Agra on Tue evening, go to the Taj and other Agra sites Wed day then drive back to Delhi on Wed evening. Is it possible to see all 4 sites in Delhi in a single day? Would it be too late to drive to Agra?

3. Tour Akshardham Temple, Laal Kila in Delhi on Tue, then drive to Agra on Tue late afternoon, go to the Taj and a few other sites in Agra Wed then drive back to Delhi on Wed after lunch to see Kutub Minar and Bahai/Lotus Temple. Is it possible to see main Agra sites in 4-5 hrs?

Are we missing any important siteseeing locations in either city?

I would appreciate any feedback to make the most of our trip. Thanks.

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Siteseeing/Logistics help for 2 days in New Delhi and Agra

Hi Band C,

As you have mentioned in your post u r arriving on Monday...relax for the rest of the time.Better to have a day each in both the cities....Next day (Tuesday) early morning catch a train Shatabdi Express at 6.00 am in the morning .....same train goes back to Delhi at 20.15 hours...each way is 2 hours journey ..u get plenty of time to explore sites in Agra.Day visit of Agra is fine. A most important thing is to get reservation tickets in train.Check with www.indianrail.govn.in

Delhi sightseeing can be done on Wednesday.

Even traveling through Express way from Delhi to Agra (starting point to finishing point) takes 3-4 hours.

Thanks and Regards

Rashidagraindia

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siteseeing/Logistics help for 2 days in New Delhi and Agra

Rashidagraindia,

Thank you for your suggestions. I had thought the new highway saved more time based on some earlier posts I had read. I had also read that it is better to go the Taj Mahal early in the morning for less crowds and better lighting. I am not sure if the other people I am traveling with will be comfortable using the train option.

If we decide to stay with the driver approach, is there one of the options I proposed that will work better?

Thanks.

Gurgaon, India
Level Contributor
225 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siteseeing/Logistics help for 2 days in New Delhi and Agra

Not a very good plan

Leave for Agra Tuesday early morning around 4 am and by using new expressway you will reach Agra within 3-4 hours and it will help you to avoid rush hours.

Straight away opt for taj mahel your first visit and early morning it will not be crowded.agra fort is just opp to taj .

You can leave for fatehpur Sikri in afternoon and it's a 30 -45 min drive from Agra and can return Delhi on same day and relax.

Next day you can visit all major sites in Delhi

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siteseeing/Logistics help for 2 days in New Delhi and Agra

BandC_Explorer

Your second option is a better one, but needs some slight modification. You will not be able to cover too many sites along with Akshardham Temple. It takes 3-4hrs to cover this place itself.

If Akshardham is not mandatory on your list. You could visit in the sequence Red fort, Jama Masjid, Chandni Chowk, Qutab Minar, Humayun Tomb & National Museum.

Else you could plan to visit starting with Red fort (it opens at 08:00), Jama Masjid, Qutab Minar & then later Akshardham (spend the evening there).

Leave to Agra early morning via the Shatabdi or by car and return by the same train/cab in the evening. You'll be able to cover Taj Mahal, Agra Fort & Fatehpur Sikhri.

Titus.

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Siteseeing/Logistics help for 2 days in New Delhi and Agra

You can stick to option 2.That will work better.You can see Taj Mahal at dawn and Agra fort after breakfast and Akbar's Tomb on the way back to Delhi.

Rashid

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siteseeing/Logistics help for 2 days in New Delhi and Agra

I really appreciate the quick responses. I spoke with my fellow travelers and we are going with the modified option 2 being more flexible on what we see in Delhi. Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

7. Re: Siteseeing/Logistics help for 2 days in New Delhi and Agra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2013, 10:17