We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On foot from Red Fort to Spice Market

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Yorks
Level Contributor
818 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
On foot from Red Fort to Spice Market

I know you are all going to say get a rickshaw but I love walking and exploring on foot so how long approximately do you think it takes to walk down Chandi Chowk to the spice market from the Red Fort?

I am very fit and walk a lot.

Thanks

nuneaton
Level Contributor
633 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On foot from Red Fort to Spice Market

15 mins, i walked for 7hrs aday for three days around old delhi and still did not see it all, use tuk tuk to visit the tourist sights and legs around redfort and jama masjid and chandi chowk and parghanj, hte rest you will need a ride, hope this helps dave.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
818 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On foot from Red Fort to Spice Market

Great thanks - that's what I wanted to hear. Didn't realise Old Delhi was THAT big.

Yes, I was planning on using either rickshaw or HOHO bus for the other Delhi sights.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,700 posts
1,726 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On foot from Red Fort to Spice Market

Red Fort to Chandi Chowk area is about 15 minutes walk, its easily doable at a leisurely pace.

Reading,
Level Contributor
45 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On foot from Red Fort to Spice Market

Hi, yes it is about 15 minutes walk but took us about 4 hours. The great thing about walking instead of taking a rickshaw is seeing everything and anything that is going on around you. Would generally just walk everywhere in Old Dehli but you will need transport for other sites. Have a great time

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,541 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On foot from Red Fort to Spice Market

not only spice market there is more to see while walking.temples ,mosque and different bazar .

If you are first time might be little difficulties to find . You have to careful while crossing the roads.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On foot from Red Fort to Spice Market

There is also a book called 'Old Delhi Walks' available on Amazon. I found it useful.

New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
700 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On foot from Red Fort to Spice Market

Hi,

You need only 15 minutes to reach spice market but need more time to explore old Delhi. There are different markets. Cloth market, Johri Bazaar for jewellery, Nai Sarak for books and lots more to explore.

Amar

West Yorks
Level Contributor
818 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On foot from Red Fort to Spice Market

Thanks for all your replies.

I have allocated half a day to explore the area (tho I know it won't be enough).

I intend to get thoroughly lost in those little streets.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
818 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On foot from Red Fort to Spice Market

Thanks for all your replies.

I have allocated half a day to explore the area (tho I know it won't be enough).

I intend to get thoroughly lost in those little streets.

Delhi
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On foot from Red Fort to Spice Market

and do not miss out on the Non Vegetarian specialty restaurants around the area if you are a spicy food lover :)