We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour guide or do it myself

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tour guide or do it myself

Got 4 weeks to spend in India, starting with Delhi and so far am looking at the usual sites, golden triangle Varanasi ranthambore national park, then down to Mumbai Kerala then back up to goa to fly home. I'm feeling pulled towards working with a tour guide for all there advise and help in booking accommodation any train or cars I may need but was wondering how easy it it to do myself, to be honest I know I'll pay more with a tour company but any tips on who I could pick to help me.

1. Re: Tour guide or do it myself

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 19:12
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
296 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour guide or do it myself

I think if you already have all the groundwork done before coming here (some research about the places your are visiting), it should not be a problem traveling without a tour guide. It is more of a matter of confidence. Safety is not a big issue (especially at the places you are going). Having a tour guide will give you a guy who can communicate well with the locals but if you want to see the real India, you should travel on your own!!

But yes you will have to be safe from the touts around (which are everywhere). Moreover Tripadvisor experts are there always to guide you regarding any issues!!

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour guide or do it myself

take help from an estd company to arrange trips, tkts, accomodation etc

It is not necessaryu taht you take a tour as suggested by them They all make a plan for you if you specify things you want to see/do.They do not charge the moon for this.I am an Indian living outside of India.I take teh services of one such when I travel within India and do on my own when I visit other countries.Recently I did a 10day Turkey trip all on my own,barring the flights and hotels being booked through the travel agent(afraid of getting alternatives in case something goes wrong).Why are you going just to rathanbore and not more of the Uttaranchal state,as in parts of Himalayas accessible from there(if you like hills).With Kerala I would liek to tell you that travel times shown in google maps are not accurate becos road conditions are bad.So, add an extra hour or two in case you are travelling in teh hilly regions,visiting a tea garden in munnar.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour guide or do it myself

We booked everything ourselves and had no problem whatsoever, we flew from Delhi to Varanasi, then took the overnight train to Agra, from Agra we hired a car from Tourist Resthouse to take us to Jaipur so that we could stop off and visit Fatehpur sikri along the way. We took the train from Jaipur to Jodhpur, then hired a car from Rajwadi Rajasthan Tours to take us to Udaipur, we stopped off on the way at Ranakpur to visit the beautiful Jain Temples.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour guide or do it myself

Also check out the IndiaMike forum as you can get a lot of good info from there.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
729 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour guide or do it myself

It is good & always advisable to do the research on your part before traveling to India. The advantage of approaching a reliable tour company is they can guide you well and plan the entire trip for you. You can just simply relax and enjoy your holidays. Above all there is always some available a phone call away if you need help.

You can do it yourself too. Do get inputs from reliable experts on this forum. Share your itinerary with them. Pick your choice of hotels based on TA reviews. Search for travel companies that can arrange your transport (reviews for many of them are available on this forum itself).

Titus

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour guide or do it myself

Hi UKGoldengirl,

There are several travel agencies a person can find on a travel forum but one should do abit of home work before leaving the country.Look up on travel forum, read all the reviews which may help you to select the reliable one. Try to compare the cost with others as well as the services which may be offered.

Regards,

Raja Burza

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,674 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour guide or do it myself

India is a big country and places you mentioned are in different regions.

1) Delhi , Varanasi, Agra, Ranthambhor and Jaipur- spend app 10days .

2) Kerala area- 10days here.

3) Mumbai and Goa- 10days.

First try to organise GT area and you will be able to know weather you can do it or not. I think you will be able to do it as these are very popular tourists places.

There are many trip reports and recommendation on this forum. Any difficulty come on this forum again.

As some one mentioned above there are touts around everywhere.

deepak

Edited: 02 November 2012, 14:12
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour guide or do it myself

Hi there for my first trip solo I'm going to go through an operator so that I'll know what to do when I go by myself

i've been looking at Fifu travel website

has anyone used it ?

DEVON UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour guide or do it myself

I am a lone traveller in my late 60's. I backpack around India with the Lonely Planet book. I have never used a tour guide. I like the freedom to stay as long as I like in an area and move on to where ever I like. My last trip I flew into Delhi, stayed a while then train to Agra for a few days. I ended up taking a train to Jaiselmer stopping off at Jodphur, Jaipur , etc. and staying a while then travelling on. Second Class AC is fine for me and as an old age pensioner I was able to have the bottom bunk on the train. Great fun booking own tickets at Delhi Station. Everyone really helpful. Just pretend to tuck tuck drivers you have been to their towns before and never pay the first price they quote for a journey. Well actually, never give the first price quoted anywhere - it is a game to play but it is always with good heart. I always inspect a room before I take it and check that everything is working - shower, fan, lights etc. - never assume!

I love India and the Indian people and am now used to being called 'Auntie" I take lots of 'school pens' for the children and am happy for people to practice their English. Can't wait for my next trip, but bit miffed that they do not take passport size photos for their Visa application. Still good way to get in practice for dealing with the wonderful bureaucracy that is India.