We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for high end fabric shopping in Delhi

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place for high end fabric shopping in Delhi

So far we plan for the following places for Fabric shopping in Delhi

Lajpat Nagar (Central Market)

Qarol Bugh

Chandni Chowk

Westside Ambience Mall

Our hotel will be Le Merrien New Delhi (Windsor Place)

If we are looking for high end fabrics at a reasonable price, which would be best order of choice? Did I miss better fabric shopping place close to or hotel?

Please recommend. Thanks for your suggestions.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for high end fabric shopping in Delhi

Forgot to mention that I will be in Delhi On December 17th(Monday) and December 19-20th(Wed-Thu)

New Delhi, India
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for high end fabric shopping in Delhi

Khan Market in Delhi

sugar land, texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for high end fabric shopping in Delhi

It might be helpful to specify the use of the fabrics, for clothes, upholstery, window treatments, etc.

Also, even though there are numerous mills, what I have found (and I am of Indian descent) is that there is an "insiders network" when trying to buy export quality goods at reasonable prices. Ambience Mall is a very expensive mall I doubt you will get deals much less than U.S. wholesalers. I have purchased dresses and so forth from Ann Taylor made in India, but for the life of me couldn't find that kind of quality or finish when actually IN India. They simply won't sell you export quality (which is better than domestic quality). I don't know why (I'm sure their U.S. buyers would be happy to know this though).

For window treatments I have heard Jagdish stores are good. For general fabrics, Karol Bagh market is good. I would absolutely encourage you to NOT visit Khan Market. I was there last summer and it was a chaotic, little managed or maintained zoo of a place. You might end up getting a headache just navigating the gulleys, and the prices, though slightly cheaper are not worth it considering what you have to go through. Of course, if you have to go to just one or two specific shops that you researched before hand, it might be worth it. I took the Delhi Metro (highly recommended!) to get there. And then took a cycle rickshaw to get around looking for something.

Share your planned schedule with your hotels Concierge. specifically avoid rush hours. Going shopping in Delhi can take 20 minutes or 2 hours, for the same thing, depending on WHEN you go, so keep that in mind. It is a city with over 15mn in its area, so what do you expect.

So, from your list, i'd say Lajpat Nagar and Karol Bagh (not with a Q) are good choices. If you are looking for Indian ethnic attire, I recommend CTC plaza near Lagpat Nagar. Excellent quality for relatively good pricing.

Also, be sure to negotiate like crazy. But remember, the India today is not the same deal laden place as it was 15 years ago. There is plenty of cash circulating around and a growing middle class. For small handicrafts, gifts, trinkets etc. definitely check out Janpath near Connaught Place.

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for high end fabric shopping in Delhi

You could try Handloom House in Connaught Place, Khadi Bhavan near Regal Cinema, and the Central Cottage Industries Emporium on Janpath. I would disagree with the views expressed on Khan Market as stores such as Anokhi,Fab India are located here and are preferred by the diplomatic community resident in Delhi.There are some great book stores and cafes too.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for high end fabric shopping in Delhi

Our pupose of fabrics are making salwar kameez for personal use. We are not interested in rady-made salwar kameez.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for high end fabric shopping in Delhi

We usually buy good quality Indian fabric (for Salwar Kameez) from Dhaka Bangladesh and sellers usually come to India to buy things at a cheaper price.

So, usual thoughts are, if I buy it from India, I should get a better price.

Noida, India
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for high end fabric shopping in Delhi

Try Nehru Place market.you will get best silks,nets,linen, Georgette etc in latest colors and designs.

New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
700 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for high end fabric shopping in Delhi

Nehru Place market is good. You can try Chandni Chowk clothes market.

Amar

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for high end fabric shopping in Delhi

For best fabrics i suggest you

Lajpat nagar ( central mkt. )

Khadi india ( C.P )

fab india

Sarojini nagar mkt.

cottage emporium

Delhi haat

Please beware of fake once

Pummy

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
192 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for high end fabric shopping in Delhi

Shanti Mohalla should be THE place.

I didn't make it there on recent visit but plan on checking it out in the future since it has been related to as THE hidden fabric gem of Asia.

See the following blog post on it:

…wordpress.com/2012/…

Please share you experience!

Happy Shopping :).

Batya