We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antique tribal textiles in Chandi Chowk - know a guide?

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
491 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Antique tribal textiles in Chandi Chowk - know a guide?

I might be interested in visiting dealers in antique tribal textiles in Chandi Chowk IF I can find a person to guide me - and not take baksheesh.

I have been to Delhi many times, and to the Chowk a few, so I know that there is no way I can find dealers on my own.

I am looking for good, but not fabulously expensive, tribal embroideries from India or Pakistan. I am NOT looking for rugs, Kashmir Shawls or costumes.

Any other suggestions for antique textile dealers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
491 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Antique tribal textiles in Chandi Chowk - know a guide?

Thanks. I was in Kutch in 1980, before the earthquake, nd bought from the foremost dealer there. And, yes, I know there is much more than just "Kutch" but that detail is not relevant to this

forum.

I must say that I find it strange - and unwelcoming - that everyone is telling me what is wrong with what I am asking, and suggesting that I go to other cities, rather than help me find the information I requested. If I didn't know India as well as I do, it would be very off-putting.

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Antique tribal textiles in Chandi Chowk - know a guide?

The director of the Crafts Museum is Ruchira Ghose and the other officials are Arundhati Mitter and Nidhi Harit. ruchiraghose@gmail.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
491 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Antique tribal textiles in Chandi Chowk - know a guide?

Thanks so much. Your posts have been very helpful

Peshawar, Pakistan
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Antique tribal textiles in Chandi Chowk - know a guide?

hi i am so glad to find a customer i am afghan and i collect old antique embroidery from pakistan afghanistan iran uzbakistan and tajikistan and i sell these in india and if you will meet me i can help regards hameed mako plz note my email mako2af@yahoo.com

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Antique tribal textiles in Chandi Chowk - know a guide?

It's a cross cultural issue what you say Baksheesh as Bribe, we say paying for the best service or tips for services offered.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Antique tribal textiles in Chandi Chowk - know a guide?

Antique tribal textiles are very rare and can only be found at emporium or at Delhi haat occasionally. But If you think you can be easily cheated you can vist these emporia by you own and bargain for the price.

17. Re: Antique tribal textiles in Chandi Chowk - know a guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 06:17