We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poor experiences on INDIGO AIRLINES.

Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Poor experiences on INDIGO AIRLINES.

I recently travelled to Singapore on Indigo Airlines. As per their policy, they offer an ''Indigo Plus'' service under which they offer a meal + choice of seat. I took this offer for myself and my wife and paid 1500 per seat per sector ie. Rs 6000 extra for the round trip for both of us. During the onward journey, I had selected an aisle seat in row number one and was the first person to be offered the meal. They allow you to look at the menu and order any item of your choice. The following was my experience:

1. The item of my choice was not available.

2. Everything was stone cold ie. inedible [imagine eating stone cold parathas]

3. The cost of the meal if purchased on the aircraft [without prebooking] was only USD 9 or Rs 495 against the Rs 1500 I had paid.

Since I was the first person to be offered the meal, I was surprised that the [stone cold] meal of my choice was not available - i was informed that certain passengers [who had not booked the indigo plus facility] had purchased the same before the aircraft took off. ie. The passengers who have taken the Indigo Plus facility are given low priority and their choice is not checked before selling off all the available meal packets of a certain dish.

I wrote to Indigo about a week back asking for a refund of the amount I paid for Indigo Plus. So far, there is no response - I don't expect them to respond since I have already paid them but it has helped me to decide never to travel again by Indigo.

As far as their claim of ''On time'' service is concerned, one of my family members was travelling from Delhi to Pune on 1st of Feb by their 630Pm flight expected to reach Pune at 830PM. At 4Pm, they sent an SMS to him that the flight was delayed and was expected to depart at 750Pm. After he checked in, he was informed that it wll leave at 9PM. Finally it took off at 1030PM after keeping the passengers sitting in the stationary aircraft for over an hour. Reason - they were short of air hostesses.

I think the airline needs to take note that they will start losing customers if they treat them in such a shoddy manner. And their tickets are not really low priced anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Pune
Pune
Pune District, India
chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poor experiences on INDIGO AIRLINES.

pathetic experience Airlines image will start damaging

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
10,152 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poor experiences on INDIGO AIRLINES.

That's a shame.

I used them at the end of last year for a couple of internal flights and found them excellent. I did not have food as the flights were only short but both flights were on time and the staff were excellent.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 17:05
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poor experiences on INDIGO AIRLINES.

no wonder they are the only Indian carrier making a profit in their books LOL

on a serious note : if they can't keep to their commitments they should definitely refund the money

Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poor experiences on INDIGO AIRLINES.

Hi TravelAlong,

I agree that they are profitable however, one needs to see how the profit is made. If they treat customers in a shoddy manner, they will start losing market share very fast. Air India is a good example of what happens to an airline with poor customer service.

Pl look at Nokia - at one time, they had an 80% marketshare in India however, poor customer service was one of the main reasons why people started buying other phones like Samsung etc and the company now has a market share of about 40%.

Mentioned in this post
Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poor experiences on INDIGO AIRLINES.

I had the unfortunate experience of travelling again by Indigo Airlines today. It was not by choice - but the only flight from Pune to Chennai in the morning was an Indigo airlines flight - so I had no option.

They don't provide any place for hanging a coat or jacket so you either keep it in your lap or in the overhead luggage bin. On the way back, the irhostess insisted on removing my jacket from the luggage bin to allow another passenger to keep his suitcase. she was also quite rude. I thought it was quite unfair to remove one passenger's luggage to allow another passenger to keep his luggage - but there was no choice.

Food was cold as usual and totally tasteless. Overall another poor experience.

Mentioned in this post
Pune
Pune
Pune District, India
Chennai (Madras)
Chennai (Madras)
Chennai District, India
Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poor experiences on INDIGO AIRLINES.

As a Budget Traveller I had always travelled only in Lowcost Airlines but my simple logic is dont have too much of expecations on them, if you can find Full Service Airlines with marginal difference go for full service airlines rather than blaming them. If you have paid Rs. 1500 I would say overall yes you paid Rs. 500 for the Food and the balance towards priority seat selection. All of the Lowcost Airlines operating on the Asian Routes charge on similar lines. If you check Tiger Airways to Singapore and if you choose Row 1 seat its Rs. 1400 per person / one direction.

As for On Time Performance their average is highest compared to other airlines which is normally around 93% so no where did they tell you that we are 100% On Time, its more of marketing strategy to promote their airlines that the are doing thebest and either other airlines have complained on that point because its a fact.

During my last trip from Delhi to Leh i booked on Jet Airways as i got a better price and it was a full service with breakfast included and i was sitting in the last row, the guy was asking everyone if they need Veg. or Non Veg. but when he approached me he handed over the Veg. and I insisted on Non Veg. and he replaced it, now does it mean i should rant and shout from roof tops that i would never fly on Jetairways again, I did wanted to complain but i was too busy after the trip and gave a miss.

I guess when you paid Rs. 1500 one way you had too much of expectations on their services. You should have checked the food prices on their website and that itself will let you know that basically its more like premium services for the priority seat. This is something like the recent Multiplex Theatres in the Cities are doing like blocking the last row seats and selling them as Combo Tickets with higher pricing adding a Coke & Popcorn to it, now whether the Coke is Cold and Popcorn is crispy thats another story.......

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Leh
Leh
Leh District, India
India
Level Contributor
117 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poor experiences on INDIGO AIRLINES.

My experience with Indigo has been quite OK (both in domestic and international sectors).

About booking the Indigo plus offer, I would think it is more for the sake of ensuring a seat of your choice (if one needs so) than food....after all, it is a 'no frills' flight and paid food is anyway on offer while flying.

During our return flight from Thailand, they willingly allowed us, and other passengers as well, to carry excess baggage without any extra cost; so I have no complaints about their customer friendliness.

After more than about 10 flights with them, I am yet to encounter a flight which has got delayed beyond stipulated landing time.

I would personally rate them better than most others in the sector.

Mentioned in this post
Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poor experiences on INDIGO AIRLINES.

An important point to note is that their pricing is not lower than the 'full cost airlines'. They are basically charging the regular cost and giving much lesser in return.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poor experiences on INDIGO AIRLINES.

As a Customer you are the decision maker and as already mentioned in my previous post if there is no substantial savings always go for a full service airlines. But with the current trend and its on time performance at max when compared to other airlines i know that even business people who earlier preferred only Jet & Kingfisher for its gloss are now preferring Indigo.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poor experiences on INDIGO AIRLINES.

You may just have been unlucky but I would post uour experience on the airlinequality website so that it will stay there for others to read.

www.airlinequality.com