We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary

Hi, we were are considering going to India for around 12 nights. I would like to see as much as possible.

Would this itinerary be a bit unrealistic? Or okay?

Delhi - 4 nights

Goa 4 nights

Mumbai - 4 nights

We would arrive in Delhi. Domestic flight to Goa. Then domestic flight or drive to Mumbai.

Thanks, Brian

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

hi Brian,

Plan a trip in such a way so that u can do a famous tourist circuit Golden Triangle....that is Delhi >Agra>Jaipur...the cities in GT are well connected by road and train...For GT 5 nights are good enough.

From Jaipur fly to Mumbai and than to Goa for the rest of the time.

Regards

Rashid Agra

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary

Question - why are you going to Goa? 4 nights between Delhi and Mumbai, Goa is hardly going to chill you out. And there are hotels on the Golden Triangle with lovely architecture, terraces, gardens and pools. For me, I'd forget the beach and build some chill time into a Triangle tour.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary

It is difficult to comment without knowing when you are planning this visit, or what your interests are. Have you considered the weather and looked at the festival calendar? On the face of it, sure, it is easy to do these 3 places in 12 days. And these have each got enough and more to do in those days.

Edited: 08 February 2013, 20:22
Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary

Hi

Thanks for all the replies. The golden triangle sounds like a good plan.

I like the culture aspects,seeing the history, taking good photos etc. I also like to have a few days to chill on the beach too.

Ideally, Goa would be final destination but BA do not fly from there, hence why I was making Mumbai last.

It would probably not be until next January 2014 we would be going but need to plan in advance to get the time off work.

If anyone has anymore advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary

Hi Brian,

As your purpose to visit India to see as much as things are possible so the following would be best option :

Day 01 Arrive Delhi

Day 02 Delhi

Day 03 Delhi - Agra ( Train or car )

Day 04 Agra - Jaipur ( Train or car )

Day 05 Jaipur

Day 06 Jaipur-Mumbai ( By Flight )

Day 07 Mumbai

Day 08 Mumbai - Goa ( Train / Flight )

Day 09 Goa

Day 10 Goa

Day 11 Goa - Delhi ( Flight )

Day 12 Delhi - out

As Delhi & Mumbai are metropolitan cities so 04 days stay would be too long.

If you are visiting first time India then you should see Taj Mahal in Agra & Pink city Jaipur. Delhi - Agra - Jaipur is called Golden Triangle.

If you wish to have the details of visiting places you may search in TA or can use Lonely Planet/ other travel Guide books.

Hari Mangal

New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
698 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary

Hi, I suggest below itinerary for your tour:

Day 01 Arrive Delhi

Day 02 Delhi

Day 03 Delhi - Agra ( Train or car )

Day 04 Agra - Jaipur ( Train or car )

Day 05 Jaipur

Day 06 Jaipur - Delhi - Goa ( Flight at 17:15 reach 19:45 )

Day 07 Goa

Day 08 Goa

Day 09 Goa

Day 10 Goa - Mumbai ( Morning Flight )

Day 11 Mumbai

Day 12 Mumbai - out

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary

There is a stark contradiction in your expectation and itinerary and schedule..

You want to see and experience maximum aspects of India but giving 12 days only to three locations....

Kindly mention your age, interest areas and expectation and objective of touring India.

Until and unless you provide all these inputs, nothing concrete can be suggested. But just on the basis of available information, I'll suggest you to visit Delhi (2 Nights/days)-Varanasi (01 Night)- Khajuraho (01 Night)- Agra-02 Nights)- Jaipur (02 Nights)- Goa (2 Nights)- Mumbai (01 Night)- Depart.

This wya the three destinations- Delhi- Mumbai-Goa are also covered and as you wanted to see maximum, other destinations have been included.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary

Brian,

I would suggest 3 nights in Delhi and 3 in Mumbai, and then the other six to do things like Agra (surely you are going to the Taj Mahal), a town in Rajasthan and either Goa or Kerala.

Why?

Delhi: you can see the main sights in 2 full days.

Agra, can be done in a long day trip by train from Delhi, or less exhausting, have a night in Agra, getting there and back to Delhi by car and driver or train. (you should go to the Red fort there as well as Taj).

From Delhi, there are direct cheap flights to Jodhpur or Udaipur. I would recommend Udaipur most (have you seen Octopussy?) but Jodhpur is also very scenic with its fort overlooking the town. I would recommend both of these over Jaipur unless you have some specific reason to see Jaipur (other than because it is closer to Delhi and Agra than the others? Jaipur is a big city of 3 million people, the other two are much smaller and in my view, have more character.)

From Jodhpur or Udaipur I believe you can fly direct to Mumbai. (haven't been there so wont presume to offer advice on how long you need, but I'm guessing 3 nts is enough)

From Mumbai you could fly to either Goa or Kerala. I know lots of westerners have been to Goa and quite like it, the town might suit you if you are interested in the history. They like Goa but the LOVE Kerala. It has beaches, hillstations tea plantations, and of course the famous backwaters. (I haven't been to Kerala but certainly plan to.)

Edited: 10 February 2013, 12:44
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
66 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary

Dear Brian,

If you are traveling to India for the first time and want to see as much as possible, skip Mumbai. Mumbai is a business city, with no tourist attractions at all.

If you want to chill in Goa - which I really think you can - I would suggest the following itinerary:

Day 01 Arrive Delhi

Day 02 Delhi

Day 03 Khajuraho

Day 04 Delhi - Agra ( car )

Day 05 Agra - Jaipur ( car )

Day 06 Jaipur

Day 07 Jaipur-Jodhpur ( car )

Day 08 Jodhpur - Udaipur

Day 09 Udaipur Udaipur - Goa ( Flight AI 471 then AI 659)

Day 10 Goa

Day 11 Goa

Day 12 Goa – Mumbai or Delhi ( Flight ) and fly out.

You can do Khajuraho in one day from Delhi, without even having to get a hotel there. You take the night train to Khajuraho, see the temples and take the same train back to Delhi. Have to book in advance though, they fill up really fast.

Cheers,

dyzs

Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary

Hi it looks like the only month we can come to India would be January. I have read online it will be dry, and that Delhi can be foggy and cool in January but the the South e.g. Mumbai and Goa should still be pretty warm.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

I definitely want to enjoy some sunshine when there so just wanting to get an idea of how it would be before booking anything?

Thanks, Brian