We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you do with valuables?

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
499 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What do you do with valuables?

When you are touring do you carry your passports with you at all times or you leave them in your lugguage in a hotel?

When you visit monuments that do not allow any cameras, bags, etc. - do you deposit it in the locker provided by them or you leave them with a driver in a car (assuming you have a hired car/driver)?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you do with valuables?

I think it is better to just carry a copy of your documents , usually nobody asks but it is always good to have a copy of passport. You can carry your camera and hand bag inside the monuments.. just in Laxmi Narayan temple ( birla temple ) there are no electronic stuff allowed but they have special lockers where you can keep them.. or for sure you can leave the bag with your driver if it is comfortable for you.

Hope this helps you

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you do with valuables?

You can also leave your valuables in the hotel locker...i think u don't need them while you are doing monuments s/s.

In case of Agra hand bags are fine ..cameras can be taken.

Thanks

Rashid Agra

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
7,815 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you do with valuables?

Hi..

Agree with loveutravelling.. Carry your camera and electronics with you..most of the place allows you to take camera with you, and where don't then you can either deposit that in the locker room provided by the monument/temple authority or also can leave with the car..most of the drivers are trustworthy if booked by a good agency..or check the comfortability before leaving the goods..

If more valuable item, then better keep in hotel locker..

In india, until and unless you travel by train or by air no need to keep passport with you always..its good to keep, but a photocopy also do..

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you do with valuables?

Some monuments don't allow you to take anything in, especially cameras, and even cell phones. For example, Akshardham in Delhi and the Vishwanath Mandir in Varanasi are quite strict. I went to some other temples recently, it was the same story. The Jain temple in Delhi doesn't even allow leather belts, wallets or purses. If you have a reliable driver you can leave it in the car. Some temples provide lockers, some don't.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 07:04
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you do with valuables?

Oh yeah , sorry forgot about Akshardham temple.. haha nearest to my home and i forgot Lol.. I think the best will be to leave your stuff in the car in this monument as for locker you need to wait for a while.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you do with valuables?

Do not carry original travel documents with you. A tourist I know recently had her passport stolen at the Qutb Minar and she struggled with the bureaucracy of the American consulate to get fresh passport and visa issued.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
7,815 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you do with valuables?

Agree with deepa ji

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
112 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you do with valuables?

A tricky topic indeed and unless you are staying in a reputed 5 star hotel, don't trust the hotel staff (all have a duplicate key of your room and the lockers)! If you take copies of original documents (as suggested by Deepa), sometimes you won't be allowed to travel in Trains (I've seen numerous occasions TTEs insist for the original certificates). As for the documents and passport the best thing is a neck wallet that you wear in between your inners and shirts, which is OK in most of the places. If they insist to remove, just show them that there is nothing in it!

For camera, never carry them in places where camera is not allowed. Thoroughly check for those blacklist (Akshardham is the top on that list!) before deciding what to take. I am utterly disappointed when Akshardham did not let in neither feeding bottle for my daughter nor umbrella. I had been to Imperial Palace Tokyo, Buckingham Palace, London and the White House and never faced this sorta difficulties with their security. I will never go to such places, neither will I ever recommend!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
499 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you do with valuables?

Thank you all for your help.

I will keep my original documents at my first destination and when I travel - I will keep copies with me.

For domestic air travel and train travel - will the copies be acceptable? ( i am asking because i see conflicting information)

thanks again.

New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
698 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you do with valuables?

It's suggested always carry original during air and train travel.