We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A free day

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Topic
A free day

Some advise please.....

My daughter and I are coming to Delhi in Septemberand have a free day before we start a 20 day coach trip. We are staying at the Hotel Florence 2719 bank street Karol Bagh, behind the police station. On our tour we seem to be go to many of the local tattrasctions such as India Gate, President's House, Parliament House, Janpath Bazaar, Red fort and great mosque.

Can anyone suggest how to fill in this day and also resturants around this area. My daughter is a vegetarian.

Many thanks in advance

Lee

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A free day

hi,

i have a great idea for you, you and your daughter might really enjoy doing the city walk with Salaam Balaak (www.salaambaalaktrust.com/city-walk.asp). 2013 marks this organizations 25th year. Its a fabulous organization in Delhi that helps street kids. The city walk takes u through the streets of the Paharganj district and former street kids introduce you to life on the street and how they survived. You then go back to one of the Salaam Balaak children homes and play with the children and learn more about the work they do. Its the best 2 hours you will spend in Delhi! You can easily take a auto rickshaw from Karol Bagh to the meeting point. Its not in Karol Bagh, but its cheap to use a rickshaw. Print the map out off the website.

Also, you wont have ANY trouble finding plenty of veg restaurants for your daughter, India is mainly veg, so no worries there! rickshaw drivers always have good suggestions too!

enjoy your trip! Jo

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A free day

Visit Cannaught Place, Saket, Vasant Kunj. Here you fill find plenty of great restaurants and nice places to hang out too.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A free day

Agree with Salsajo. Salam balak trust will show you Delhi in very different manor. Either you may plan to see Akshardham Temple, enjoy Delhi Metro ride , see Janpath Market or Ajmal khan road markets which is very near to your hotel. You may visit malls in Saket / Gurgaon. There are plenty of vegetarian restaurants.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A free day

Karol bath it self is very big market and busy area you can explore that and then take Metro to go to Akshardham temple. In temple you can easily spend 3-4 hours. There is very popular vegetarian restaurant inside temple complex. You can have lunch there. Note that temple complex is closed on Monday.

Deepak

Agra, Uttar...
Level Contributor
232 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A free day

Idea suggested by salsajo is different & great. If you are looking for some different experience then you can choose that. Delhi is a good city & has so many things to offer. You can visit the markets & for that matter Karol bagh in itself is one of the good markets of delhi. Cannaught Place is again not very far & has direct connectivity with karol bagh through metro.

Akshardham temple along with the tomb of Saint Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya will another angle to your visit. There are plenty of malls as well in Delhi so delhi offers you a lot see for yourself what suites you most.

Delhi is a good location to have punjabi food you can give it a try if you like spices...

Regards

Arif

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A free day

Hello Lee,

I also like to suggest you in India for your first day

as you know India is a country of different religion so why not you hire someone who can show you some religious place and tell you about the local people even that can help you during your trip.

i suggest you to visit Birla Temple, Bangla sahib Gurudwara, Swami narayan Akshardham temple, Nizzamddin dargah for evening chanting etc, even you can decide to have a Old delhi walking or rickshow tour

About restaurent near your hotel is Sarvana Bhawan a south india pure veg restaurent

for further details your can ask any thing else we love to share you the information

thanks

chaman duggal private tours

Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A free day

Thankyou all for your suggestions. I do need to get myself sorted and you have helped heaps.

Thankyou

Regards

LeeAnne

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A free day

Hi

Best idea for you . Visit Akshardham Temple, and don't forget to see there evening show. that's wonderful.

And explore old delhi also. that will be interesting.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,228 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A free day

The Salaam Baalak Trust walk is interesting but I would not pick it as the ideal thing to do on your first day in India.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
74 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A free day

I can sugegst you a very good vegetarian restaurent SWARNA BHAWAN in Karol bag/Cannaught place and if you want to try Non Veg food go to Karim in Chandni chowk.