We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is up with all the trash in the streets in India

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
What is up with all the trash in the streets in India

First off all, don't misunderstand me.... My family and I are having an amazing tour of India and Nepal. We have seen wonders upon wonders.

However, we do not understand why they do not see all the trash laying around. Right outside the doors of even the finest hotels the streets have piles of garbage.

Is it to feed the wild dogs? Cows? The Poor?

In a country with so much majesty and resource, someone should figure this one out. Here is my two cents. Each community start a landfill and pay people 100 rupees per burlap sack of garbage brought in. A small tax on the bourgeoning middle class could easily pay for this. I noticed in Bejing, they did something like this as it employed many people and kept the streets clean.

Even if the hotel I am staying at, the Park Plaza in Faridabad would just take responsibility for the streets around it I bet they would stand out as a business at the top of their community.

Down the street, was Grace Assembly of God Church. Interesting enough, there was not one plastic bag or piece of garbage outside their property. Hmmm. Think about it.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is up with all the trash in the streets in India

This is not the right place to post , You can post it to different other forums..

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is up with all the trash in the streets in India

Education..... Education.... Education is the only route to dealing with many of India problems.

You suggestion would very quickly be abused by both the users and the officals.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is up with all the trash in the streets in India

I completely agree. The cities are the mess. The villages are only marginally better. We are a civilization with no civic sense, although we seem to have had incredibly sophisticated planned sewage and water systems as early as 4000 years ago, when the rest of the world was barely aware of hygiene.

It is a mystery how we have degenerated into this.

By the way, it has nothing to do with recent-day population explosion, although that worsens it for sure. In the 1920's Gandhi was already writing about how to change the disgusting scenario.

Edited: 21 July 2013, 11:48
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is up with all the trash in the streets in India

Ok, must revise as while driving through New Delhi on the way to airport it is obvious the nice neighborhoods have NO TRASH on the streets. Obviously it is known what to do.... It is just the choice of whether they want to spend the money on doing it.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is up with all the trash in the streets in India

Hi

You are absolutely right this picture of India is really pity . India is such a place if you feel it you will fall in love but its relay hard to digest that such a country has a very big problem of garbage lying over the places. Its us who are responsible for it we have to think and should make us understand that by throwing garbage out on road we are making our own life and health miserable.

India is such a beautiful country with lots of beauty.So its our moral duty to make this country a cleanest planet on earth....

6. Re: What is up with all the trash in the streets in India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 05:17