We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Critique My Itinerary: Holi in Delhi, Tigers:March 14

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
280 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Please Critique My Itinerary: Holi in Delhi, Tigers:March 14

Hello,

We are planning a trip to India next March arriving the 14th and departing the 25th. We will be flying JFK->Delhi on Air India (direct flight).

Arrive 14th March: Stay in Delhi (Hotel undecided, leaning towards Leela Palace but very open to suggestions on a hotel (4-5 star) that is in a great location)

15th: Train/Car to Agra, see sights, Stay Overnight: Oberoi Amarvillas

16th: Sight see Agra during day, return to Delhi (stay at same hotel from day one, we are thinking of keeping the hotel straight through and taking small hand luggage to Agra)

17th: Sight See in Delhi (Holi), perhaps find a private Holi party or Holi Cow Festival?

18th: Depart Delhi for Jabalpur (early flight), private transfer to Banjaar Tola in Khana

19th: Banjaar Tola

20th: Banjaar Tola

21st: Private transfer to Mahua Kothi in Bandhavgarh

22nd: Mahua Kothi

23rd: Mahua Kothi

24th: Early game drive, late flight back to Delhi (arrive Delhi 8:40pm), 1:30 am flight (25th) back to JFK

Our primary goal is sightseeing in Delhi/Agra and tiger/game viewing in 2 national parks (looking for the best chance to view a tiger by using two locations).

Any feedback on hotels, transfers or anything else? Is this too tight of a timeline? Any ideas for Holi in 2014 regarding where to stay or private parties?

Thx in advance !

1. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary: Holi in Delhi, Tigers:March 14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 13:49
Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary: Holi in Delhi, Tigers:March 14

Greetings of the day!!!!!!!!!

For Agra you can travel by Shabadi train,it starts 06.00 a.m. from New Delhi Railway Station and reaches Agra Cant train station at 08.07 A.M., and second morning you can get Intercity train to go back to Delhi . Hotel Amarvilas give complimentary arrival and departure to the train station. Rest of tour program is perfect.

Regards

Arun

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary: Holi in Delhi, Tigers:March 14

"17th: Sight See in Delhi (Holi), perhaps find a private Holi party or Holi Cow Festival?"

I would suggest that you stay indoors on the day of Holi, unless you know families in Delhi and can celebrate with them. If you were at a family run B&B, this would be perfect. At the Leela, you have no hope of anything like that, so better to stay indoors. You can venture out around 4 pm if you wish. Holi can get unruly on the streets among strangers.

The "holy cow" refers to the fact that the cow is sacred to Hindus in India. It has nothing to do with the Holi festival.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 03:24
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary: Holi in Delhi, Tigers:March 14

Having reviewed the rest of your itinerary, I think you are making a mistake flying Jabalpur-Delhi on the same day as your international connection. Very risky, given how few flights exist on that sector. Also, I don't think you can do the morning safari + do the 4 hour drive to Jabalpur + take a domestic flight + wait so many hours + take an internationa flight without getting super-tired.

Given that the day of Holi is a complete waste, I would advise you to move your itineary up by one day. That is, fly to Jabalpur on the 17th instead of the 18th. Spend a last day in Delhi before you fly out.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
280 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary: Holi in Delhi, Tigers:March 14

"Holi Cow" yes, I realize the cow significance here, but "Holi Cow" is a festival run o the outskirts of Delhi annually: https://www.facebook.com/holicowfestival

On the last day issue I do agree that there is a good amount of risk on that 1 flight and that it will be a very long day. I think reducing the risk through Travel insurance should alleviate the bulk of the missed flight scenarios. I believe the morning game drives are probably around 530/6 am ending by 9:30/10:00. It is a 4 hour drive to Jabalpur and figure we weed to get there 1.5 hours before our flight means we can leave by 2pm (latest) for our 7:30pm flight.

We would prefer to stay at Leela Palace, but we are also being recommended to go to "The Claridges". Does anyone have any thoughts on which hotel is better located? Closer to things to walk to things to do?

Tumby Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary: Holi in Delhi, Tigers:March 14

hi I will be going to India for my birthday march 2014 but will be in Udaipur for Holi festival so close by on a set tour. Hope you enjoy the trip.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary: Holi in Delhi, Tigers:March 14

Hi-

Mathura's Holi festival is world famous. The celebration goes about 10 days.

Arun

8. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary: Holi in Delhi, Tigers:March 14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 13:28
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary: Holi in Delhi, Tigers:March 14

Am I ending up in Delhi during the Holy Cow week? My son and I are there for four days at the Leela Palace and will be taking daily tours. The fifth day we are going to Agra, best to hire a private tour who can then drop us off at our Hotel?

Then one night and hopefully full moon at the Taj which would be incredible the next day drive to Jaipur. I guess I am going to book tours as I go along unless someone knows some fabulous and trustworthy tour guides.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary: Holi in Delhi, Tigers:March 14

Your Itinerary seems fine to me. In Delhi , Imperial would be best option in Heritage Category and its location much better for tourist compare to Leela Palace & The Claridges.

As your plan to stay in Top end hotels so you should book it at earliest.

There is also possibilities to go Agra to Bandhavgarh by using overnight train instead of flight, no need to come back Delhi. Personally , I do not suggest overnight trains for the persons who plan to stay in best category Hotels.