We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The CDC recommends taking Lariam for anti-malaria

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The CDC recommends taking Lariam for anti-malaria

I'd like to know if this is commonly used by travelers. I read the side-effects and they look severe. Maybe the side-effects are exagerated, but I'd appreciate anyone's experience with this. Malaria is certainly an undesirable outcome too. Is insect repellant not good enough? Thanks, Linda

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
579 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The CDC recommends taking Lariam for anti-malaria

this may interest you linda...

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g297604-i6045-k6909…

-ish

Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The CDC recommends taking Lariam for anti-malaria

Linda, my wife and I fly to New Delhi next week and will also visit the Kerala backwaters. Although we want to avoid malaria, we also don't want to feel like we have to stay indoors all the time. We visited our Doctor two years ago before touring Africa and he prescribed Mefloquine hydrochloride, the generic version of Lariam. Like you I was concerned after reading the possible side effects. I can only tell you my wife and I took it for 8 weeks and had no issues from the weekly pill. We again visited our Doctor for this upcoming trip and he again advised Mefloquine HCL. We purchased our prescription at Costco. We took our first pill this past week and haven't had any adverse reactions. BTW, Costco's price was ~$25 for 4 pills; we take one pill per week.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The CDC recommends taking Lariam for anti-malaria

We are headed to India shortly. My wife and I are both in medicine and will be taking Malarone while in India. CDC recommends Atovaquone-proguanil (Malarone), doxycycline, or mefloquine. There is a resistance to Chloroquine. We also decided against the Japanese encephalitis vaccine because of the side effects, lack of efficacy and the regions we will be traveling.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The CDC recommends taking Lariam for anti-malaria

BTW, disclaimer... Not providing medical advice, just stating the facts. Consult with your physician:-)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The CDC recommends taking Lariam for anti-malaria

Hi there, why are you opting out of taking the Japanese enciefildus shot? I'm sure I'll be needing all Linda of vaccines edited I visit in April through May. My primary care physician and I have an appointment next week where I will be letog her know about my trip. I'm just worried all she's do is go according to the cdc and not think Ahead of side effects etc.

I know I should have more faith but I'm just paranoid. Now the maralone pill is that a weekly one also or a daily? Thanks

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The CDC recommends taking Lariam for anti-malaria

Regarding JE, have a look at this... Then talk with your physician and make up your own mind.

…cdc.gov/travel/…japanese-encephalitis

We decided that good mosquito repellent use and the areas we were traveling negated our need for JE vaccination.

Regarding Malarone, usual dosage is take 1 day prior to entering malaria area, take once a day while in malaria area and then 7 days after leaving malaria area.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The CDC recommends taking Lariam for anti-malaria

Thank you kindly for that bit of wonderful information. It just saddens me and scares me to hav to resort to vaccines and constant mosquito repellent

But I know it's necessary. I more them likely will be getting the JE shots because I'll be in areas that are at high risk and I'll be there in the month of May. Traveling in the north. Although I won't be doing a lot of vigorous activities, I am planning on Doug evening prayers in Varanassi and rishikesh and Bodhgaya. And sunriseon the Ganga So I think I should get all the vaccines necessary. Especially since I'll be traveling alone. Thanks for all the info , it helped a lot

8. Re: The CDC recommends taking Lariam for anti-malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 05:17