We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage issue: Delhi airport transit with Indian passport

Jena, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage issue: Delhi airport transit with Indian passport

If one has an Indian passport and wants to leave the airport during a long layover (international transit) at Delhi International airport, what happens to the baggage? Do you have to collect it and then recheck it in when you reenter the airport? Also, is there any other catch as to why this is a bad idea?

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage issue: Delhi airport transit with Indian passport

As per my information, you can leave baggage at Airport but you have to re check inn when you enters again also you have to leave it in the clock room

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
375 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage issue: Delhi airport transit with Indian passport

Once you do your immigration on arrival you are free to leave the terminal irrespective of your nationality. Baggage needs to be collected on arrival and then rechecked in for next leg of the journey.

Cloak rooms facility is available on arrivals.

However, unless you have 6 -8 hours minimum between connections, I would not recommend venturing into the city.

The other option for you is to take the luggage with you in the taxi on a city tour and back to airport.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage issue: Delhi airport transit with Indian passport

And durng a 24h layover between 2 domestics flights, do you have to atke your luggage and recheck?

We have a flight Leh/Srinagar with a 24h stop in Delhi.

Thanks.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
375 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage issue: Delhi airport transit with Indian passport

Rule says that any connection more than 24 hours CANNOT be through checked in. If your flights are on different airlines then even if the connecting time is less than 24 hours you are likely to take baggage on arrival and recheck in on for next flight.

Jena, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage issue: Delhi airport transit with Indian passport

Just an update: I did have to collect my baggage upon exiting the airport in Delhi during the transit and had to recheck it in when I came back. Wasted about 45 minutes since I failed to notify the Air India Staff earlier, they were pretty helpful though.

6. Re: Baggage issue: Delhi airport transit with Indian passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 08:16