We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking a train e-ticket on line

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
booking a train e-ticket on line

I used to always book my train ticket on line, but suddenly this is not working any more.

my american express credit card is not going through, although, there is nothing wrong with my card, and they are not accepting any international visa or master card either.

does anybody know what is the problem? why can one no longer book train tickets online from an international location?

is there any other way, one can book a train ticket, because the seats will be all booked, by the time we get there. therefore, we need to book them before.

Thanks

jodagirl

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking a train e-ticket on line

Namaste!

I have seen several people complaining about AMEX not accepted. You may seek help of some local agency for ticket booking.

canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking a train e-ticket on line

thanks for your reply, but too many scams happen with this option.

its just not the same as it used to be. now, there are scammers and bribers and what not, all over. makes me think, if it is even worth it, to visit again.

why would the IRCTC not accept regular international credit cards (visa or master card), like everybody else in the world does. or, best of all, why not PAYPAL.???

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: booking a train e-ticket on line

Hi-

You contact to Mr Hari Mangal or Mr K Yogi. Both are Delhi based destination expert and can help you to get the train tickets.

Arun

Malaysia
Level Contributor
331 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking a train e-ticket on line

Hi Jodha, we too, find booking the train tickets online before we left for India quite a hassle last month. So we have 2 options:

(1) Buy the tickets at the railway station when we are there in India, but that proved even more challenging for first timer like us - we were unable to locate the International Tourist office compounded by many touts giving you so many reasons you cannot get tickets there!

(2) Get the tickets from a travel agency in Delhi when we are there, which we did, and only paid a small fees about Rps300 on top of the tickets cost. Convenient and hassle-free.

Travel safe.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booking a train e-ticket on line

:)

It is worth & will be worth forever. Good people are more in no. than those scammers unless you are right place. :)

As suggested above. ask some local agent who will take a mere commission over the ticket price.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
579 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booking a train e-ticket on line

You tried using Cleartrip?

Washington DC...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: booking a train e-ticket on line

I second clear trip. I had issues booking through the IRTC website, but cleartip worked fine!

S M
Merseyside
Level Contributor
590 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booking a train e-ticket on line

I'll third Cleartrip. Works well.

9. Re: booking a train e-ticket on line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 07:18