We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping for local clothing, Shalwar Kameez, in New Delhi

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
shopping for local clothing, Shalwar Kameez, in New Delhi

Hi all,

I will be going to India next week. From all I read, it's better to dress like the locals then to wear my tees and jeans. My first stop will be in New Delhi. I will have about 1/2 day to shop. Can anyone give me advice as to where to get some local clothing? I don't need anything fancy but I like comfort and simple style. I will be in India for a month.

Also do I need to bargain? I don't think I need to do that if it's a big department store, but what about a small shop, or a small street vendor? And at what rate? Thanks.

BTW, I saw all these nice images of Indian women in their sari, shalwar kameez, and other dresses. Do they ever carry a purse and how do they keep their things (i.e., cell phones, money, keys, etc)? I normally carry a shoulder purse (not leather) or a backpack. I am not sure how not to ruin the graceful look of a sari or a shalwar kameez with a backpack!

Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping for local clothing, Shalwar Kameez, in New Delhi

Hi there

For salwar kameej or sari u can buy from any markit of delhi.but as u said fr street vendor to a big dept. Store than i suggest u fr karol bagh or lajpat nagar markit.there u can get all type of stuff. Suits ( salwar kameej ) start fron rs 400 fr keeping yr cell or other things u can ask vendor fr pocket suits. Ya u hv to be a good barganer if u r buying any thing fr a street or any shop vender.

Hv a nice trip

k ashoo

Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping for local clothing, Shalwar Kameez, in New Delhi

Hi there

For salwar kameej or sari u can buy from any markit of delhi.but as u said fr street vendor to a big dept. Store than i suggest u fr karol bagh or lajpat nagar markit.there u can get all type of stuff. Suits ( salwar kameej ) start fron rs 400 fr keeping yr cell or other things u can ask vendor fr pocket suits. Ya u hv to be a good barganer if u r buying any thing fr a street or any shop vender.

Hv a nice trip

k ashoo

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
263 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping for local clothing, Shalwar Kameez, in New Delhi

Hi,

Jeans and Tees are the clothes you shall find most Indian youngsters dressed in today. If you want to buy Indian Salwar Kameez, casual and not very expensive stuff, then visit Central Market, Lajpat Nagar. This market is famous for women clothing. The best part is that most of the shops have fixed price tags on their clothes and you may not have to bargain much.

You can carry clutch or a small purse but not the backpack. Shoulder purse would also do.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping for local clothing, Shalwar Kameez, in New Delhi

Hi-

Karol Bagh is good for shopping. There you can get every thing.

Arun

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping for local clothing, Shalwar Kameez, in New Delhi

You can go to Fab India store at Khan Market. Salwar Kmeez is easy to wear while to wear Sari you need lot of practice to wrap it properly.

deepak

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping for local clothing, Shalwar Kameez, in New Delhi

Lajpat Nagar Market and Khan Market are the best options for it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping for local clothing, Shalwar Kameez, in New Delhi

Thanks all,

Lots of option. Am ready to go shopping. I hope I don't overdo it buying too much at the beginning of the trip. Looking forward to seeing India. thanks.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
263 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shopping for local clothing, Shalwar Kameez, in New Delhi

Hope you have a great trip and lot of good memories to cherish.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: shopping for local clothing, Shalwar Kameez, in New Delhi

Hi

Karol Bagh Market at Ajmal Khan Road is best for you.

Welcome In India .

.. Shivansh Lahori

10. Re: shopping for local clothing, Shalwar Kameez, in New Delhi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:20