We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi World Heritage Sites

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
124 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Delhi World Heritage Sites

Before heading off on a tour of Northern India, I'd like to visit the three UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Delhi (Red Fort, Qutab Minar, and Humayuns Tomb). How much time should I allow for each site? If I can't get to all of them, what should my priorities be?

Thanks!

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar, Katra, Udaipur, Patna
Level Contributor
13,984 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delhi World Heritage Sites

Namaste

You can do these sites in one day.Hire a cab and 1st half for lal qila and then rest of two.

Thanx

New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Delhi World Heritage Sites

Hi

These three normally taken 4-5 hrs including driving but its depend on your interest.

If you have much more interesting then first do Hamyun tomb and qutub minaar.

Red fort is drive past and its more impressive out side then inside.

Thx

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delhi World Heritage Sites

Start with Humayun's Tomb in the morning, there are also pre-Mughal tombs and smaller heritage structures in the same complex (2hrs).

Then Red Fort and the lanes of old Delhi (historic Jama Masjid, biggest mosque in India). Red Fort also has two museums inside: ASI Museum of Mughal history and Museum of Independence, total 2hrs. If you'd like, you can also watch the Light-and-Sound show in the evening (8pm English).

Qutb Minar is located inside Mehrauli archaeological complex, it has many monuments within the premises, 3hrs would suffice.

Also, don't miss out the beautiful Lodhi Garden, with Lodhi tombs and monuments. 1hr, Entry free

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delhi World Heritage Sites

It will take around 5+ hours to visit these places depending upon the traffic situation

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
124 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delhi World Heritage Sites

Thanks for the very detailed response and suggestions!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
124 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delhi World Heritage Sites

Thank you for the detailed reply and suggestions!

Edited: 02 April 2014, 13:00
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,585 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delhi World Heritage Sites

Qutb Munar is unique and there's no other such minaret or hybrid-style mosque in Delhi or anywhere else in North India, so I recommend you visit that. There is an audio guide, which is pretty good. You need an hour or thereabouts.

Humayun's Tomb has been lovingly restored by the Aga Khan Foundation and we are deeply grateful to them for all their work. It is a gorgeous garden tomb, and one of my favourites. You need an hour for this as well.

If you don't have time, then skip Red Fort, and do the other two above. There will be many more forts on your trip through Northern India. Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri are both Mughal forts, similar to Red Fort.

agra
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delhi World Heritage Sites

Humayuns tomb is must do

Early in the morning would be perfect

Delhi
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Delhi World Heritage Sites

The only thing to consider is that all these places are in a triangle and they are pretty far from each other. So depending on what time you leave and where your hotel is it might make sense to review your plans and reschedule your sightseeing if you are going to be in delhi again.

Otherwise in terms of places, Qutab Minar and Humayuns tomb are both must do and perhaps more viable too ( distance wise) ... Red fort can be easily omitted from the must do list.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Delhi World Heritage Sites

Hi-

You must include Jama Masjid. Its also World Heritage sight. The whole sightseeing will take about 5 hours.

Arun