We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is the tourist harassment?

Shanghai, China
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How bad is the tourist harassment?

Hi all, I hope you're well.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, but I've read a lot stuff about tourist harassment in Delhi/Agra, and frankly it caused me a lot of anxiety... I will be a first-timer in India, and will be travelling alone, can anyone please advise how bad is it? and what to do to avoid it?

Agra Day Tour Packages
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Discover India by Car
Day Trips, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
When In India Tours
Day Trips, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Reality Tours & Travel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: How bad is the tourist harassment?

Ohh God!!.....Sometimes I feel so bad after reading such posts. What we have made of our country in front of the whole world that a single woman traveler is so scared to come to India. All the stake holders of tourism industry (vendors, sellers, guides, tour operators, hotel and lodge agents, etc) don't understand one simple thing that by harassing tourists they are actually loosing so many future prospects of business.

Don't worry Alice, you'll be just fine. Whenever you feel someone is bothering you, shout out loud. Someone will surely come out and help you. There are still good people out there in India.

Shanghai, China
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: How bad is the tourist harassment?

wow, thanks for the great suggestions! I can feel the positive energy here :) keep it coming.... thanks!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
263 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How bad is the tourist harassment?

Hi,

For travelling in Delhi, you can depend on Delhi Metro. Every Metro train has a coach reserved for women, which may be crowded but you shall be safe. If you can, avoid the peak timing of morning and evening, otherwise travel as everyone else is travelling.

For visiting Agra, you can travel by train.

Do avoid going out alone late at night.

Avoid everyone who is offering a tour/guide on the street.

As far as visiting all the tourist places in Delhi are concerned, travel by HOHO buses, which run on 2 different routes.

Do some research and have a detailed itinerary ready before you arrive.

Happy travelling !

Chennai (Madras...
4 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: How bad is the tourist harassment?

Tourist harassment is lesser in malls and the more posh areas but if you try to visit local markets and such you might find it a bit more. And don't assume guided tours can completely insulate you from harassment. Even if you go with an expensive cab or tour company, sometimes the drivers themselves aren't completely reliable and could be a source of tension during the trip. So it could be a lot of good money to buy a nightmare. If you have friends in Delhi that you know really well, best option would be to ask for a recommendation to a cab company they know and have used frequently. Barring that, public transport is a far safer bet, except that you can't travel alone late.

15. Re: How bad is the tourist harassment?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2016, 12:20
agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How bad is the tourist harassment?

It is not that bad and as you are from China i am sure you are used to seeing large no. of people. It became scary for many westerners because they are not used to seeing large no. of people at one place. For many of them more then 10 people is a big crowd. Best way to avoid hawkers is ignore them and they will leave you. If by your body language they know that you are not interested they will leave you and look for some one with which they can do bussiness.

deepak

17. Re: How bad is the tourist harassment?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:15