We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus direct from airport in lieu of train

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
philippines
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
bus direct from airport in lieu of train

hi. there is another post about taking the bus in lieu of the train but i cannot post to it anymore.

i am planning to go to dharamsala/mcleod ganj. my chances of booking a train ticket are slim. my other option is to take the bus (also to avoid the scammers at the train station since this will be my first time in india).

what are the available buses that i can board in the airport area? i do not mind riding several buses to reach mcleod ganj. i prefer the comfortable buses. thanks.

Muzaffarpur, India
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus direct from airport in lieu of train

Hi

There are many night buses/Volvo for dharamshala in evening.You can take any of them.Most of them starts from majnu ka tila.

Thanx

2. Re: bus direct from airport in lieu of train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 14:11
philippines
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus direct from airport in lieu of train

thanks. what i am looking for are buses that board at the airport.

Rishikesh, India
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: bus direct from airport in lieu of train

I do not think there will be busses that you can board at the airport. However you could definitely board a metro - this would allow you to reach the New Delhi Railway Station. That will save you a lot of time

refer to link below for metro details in New Delhi

delhimetrorail.com/Airport-Express-Timing-Fa…

From the Railway station you could take an auto to the "Majnu Ka Tila" thats the only way to get the Volvo. I would also recommend to prebook to avoid wasting time.

If you have a friend in Delhi you could ask them to book on your behalf.

philippines
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus direct from airport in lieu of train

thanks adventure_factory. i arrive in delhi at around 3:30 am. the metro rail will still be closed at that time. do you suggest that i lounge around the airport until the opening time of the metro rail? my 2nd option is to take the cab until majnuka tilla but i have some safety concerns because i will be traveling alone. what do you think?

philippines
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus direct from airport in lieu of train

in addition to my last post, is it possible not to make an advanced booking with the bus company. i am not sure of my exact arrival. will i have problems getting a seat on the bus?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus direct from airport in lieu of train

Anski,

Hi again... Since you are arriving @3.30 in morning, you will take around 30-40 mins to collect baggage and immigration check etc. The first metro will b there around 4:50 am or so. That means you dont have to wait much.

So you have two options to Majnu ka tilla -

1) Take taxi from airport. can cost around ~Rs.500 (~$10) easily. for an AC cab.

2) Take airport metro till CP / New Delhi Station and take taxi from there.

Now the main thing is that the Volvo buses to Dharamshala mainly start in evening from Delhi. So what will you do till then? Well use some Airport lounge etc.

The best thing i can advice is to book only HPTDC buses. For that boarding point is Himachal Bhawan in Con naught Place area, which is the central delhi. It is much more easily accessible and less distance from Airport (v/s Majnu Ka Tilla).

http://hptdc.nic.in/bus.htm

Cheers!

Edited: 04 June 2014, 19:27
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
238 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus direct from airport in lieu of train

Hello,

Please note that the Comfortable Volvo buses will not leave before evening. So you have to manage accordingly, some of the buses leave from RamaKrishna Ashram Metro Station. It is safe to get a Pre-Paid Taxi from Airport it self. check www.redbus.in for more information.

Regards,

Piyush Sengar

9. Re: bus direct from airport in lieu of train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:16