We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be Careful: Truly India Travel in New Delhi- scam

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albany
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Be Careful: Truly India Travel in New Delhi- scam

My first impression of Truly India Travel was positive because they were able to arrange a car quickly and were responsive to my text messages. From thereon it was downhill. While many travel providers in India will be willing to provide you friendly service, you may not realize you are being scammed by them in the mean time.

Our driver's name was Sonu. Things started out on a positive note but it quickly became apparent that he was not very experienced and was not willing to work.

First, when we asked him Hauz Khaas, he took us to the market instead of the village. He didnt seem too bothered about finding the right place, when we told him he was in the wrong place, he just asked soemone and drove a few hundred meters down the street, stopped the car at some strange shop complex, and said this is it. He was more concerned with chatting on his phone then actually getting usi to his place. We had to ask several people who finally pointed us in the right direction, we gave the directions to Sonu, and then finally got there. When we were ready to be picked up again, instead of responding to my text message, we waited at the parking lot for fifteen minutes in searing heat, before my husband finally walked around to find him lounging below a tree not paying any attention to his phone.

Next day, I sent him a whatsapp message to tell him not to come at 8.30 AM and at 9.30 instead. He clearly had whatsapp because his name showed up in my wdhatsapp contact list, but when we came out at 9.45 he said my whatsapp message did not reach him and he made it clear that he was upset for having to wait 1.5 hours. If he was so worried he could have called me to check where I was, I would have told him to go and rest for 1.5 hrs. In a fixed price contract, the driver should be ready anyway whether it is 8.30 or 10 AM, so the fact that he was upset at being made to wait made me wonder if he wanted to work at all.

Then, when taking us to Red Fort, instead of dropping us off at the nearest gate (Lahore Gate) he made us walk from the parking place (which was convenient for him) to the entrance gate which was about 1 km away in searing heat. When I texted him to pick us up at Lahore Gate, we waited for a while, then my husbad called him to say never mind we'll walk back to parking, but apparently he misunderstood and was at Lahore Gate when we were already walking back after waiting for him for several minutes at the gate. Most annoyingly, he told me we were never there, instead of apologizing for the misunderstanding. He then proceeded to tell me at length about how he was waiting and we were not there. I did not mention that at least he had the comfort of an airconditioned car while he was driving instead of walking in searing heat like we did.

I was also suspicious when i asked him to take us to a courier place, and instead he said he did not know of a courier place like Blue Dart or DHL, and took us to his boss' office tucked away in some back street, which finished up three previous hours of our one day in Delhi. His boss, Mr. Ajay, then took me to his friend's shop around the corner who clearly was some fly-by-night courier and told me that I would not be able to send my package of oatmeals to Chennai by any courier dince they will not ship food products, instead I would have to send it by "normal mail that will take 15 days". I politely declined and later shipped the stuff from my hotel no problems.

The final straw was when he dropped us off at the train station, said "you can get down" and practically dropped our back packs on the dirty road instead of waiting for us to put them on. I found it quite odd that for someone paying for his service, we were treated worse than I would ever treat people who work for me.

Oh we also tipped him 300 rupees for both days which is more than double what my Indian friends were advising us to pay and he didn't even bother saying thanks.

All in all, this was one of the worst experiences I have had with a driver in India.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be Careful: Truly India Travel in New Delhi- scam

You have to be very choosive while selecting your your tour agent. Even if you have to shell out a little extra, go for reputed names. In your case, I wonder whether your driver was a tourist driver. When you found that he was not up to your expectations, you should have immediately taken up this matter with your travel agent. You should have asked your agent to replace your driver or reimburse the cost.

Regarding the tipping part, I don't think INR 300 is very high by even Indian standards. I guess, your Indian friends are not well informed on this matter. Anyway, tipping is up to your satisfaction and if you were not happy, you didn't have to tip him at all.

New york
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Be Careful: Truly India Travel in New Delhi- scam

Can I ask what would be the usual and customary tip would be for a driver per day. Also for a guide per day . I understand it is up to the customer to decide but I was hoping to get some general idea. Thank you

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Be Careful: Truly India Travel in New Delhi- scam

For a driver, if you want to tip him (provided he is good in his service and conduct), and if he is on a long tour with him, tip him Rs500/day. If guide is a local one then again Rs500 is good. But if guide is with you on a long tour, pay him on the basis of Rs1000/day. Tips you need to pay only if you are satisfied with their services. But feel free to express your opinion and your desire to guide on a tour. Guides are generally well behaved and they will take care of your needs and safety.

It is really surprising to see CJ118Albany (post above) was not treated properly by guide or driver. I am pretty sure the driver was not from the trade and even the agency was not used to dealing with foreign guests. Reputed names may be costly. And, there are many who are not so reputed but their services are personalized and excellent. Prices may vary though a little bit. But it is still advisable to hire a tour operator or agency for tours to India. You have to be very unlucky to comes across idiots. Otherwise, service and behaviour of most of the agencies and drivers and guides are exemplary.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Be Careful: Truly India Travel in New Delhi- scam

I agree with Mr Jacpaul. Tipping is personal matter and it is depend on the satisfaction of the customer. Normally it should be 500 INR per day to the driver and 500 to 1000 INR per day to the guide.

Arun

Albany
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be Careful: Truly India Travel in New Delhi- scam

Thanks all for the info and the advice. Next time we'll certainly tip more for good service but also choose a well known travel agency.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be Careful: Truly India Travel in New Delhi- scam

Hi,

It's better to shell out some more money on reputed names for happy vacation and satisfaction.

Apart from full day tour tipping advices already given above, i would tip rs200-250 in case using it for half day or little more. Maybe 100-150 if using for an hour or so to be dropped at a certain point only.

From foriengers they expect little more. so may be add up 50/100 more if one feels good about the services.

CheerS!

Luv.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 12:30
New Delhi, India
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Be Careful: Truly India Travel in New Delhi- scam

Hello Miss CIndy,

I am sorry for all that what you did face in your Visit in Delhi. and i am really thankful to you for writing all the Details about your problem with Sonu.

it would have been good or you if you would have wrote me first day about driver so i would have Change him as i was in touch till h drop you at the train station.

i personally apologise bad experience !!

Ajay Kumar

Truly India Travel

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be Careful: Truly India Travel in New Delhi- scam

Dear Ajay,

Appreciate your gesture of apologising for the wrong behaviour of someone who represented your company. It would have been better, if you reimbursed the affected party by a token amount for the bad experiences they had with your company. It's up to CJ118Albany whether to take it or not.

9. Re: Be Careful: Truly India Travel in New Delhi- scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:20