We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to New Delhi soon, need clothing advice!

1 post
Save Topic
Going to New Delhi soon, need clothing advice!

Hi all, so I'm leaving on a trip to New Delhi at the end of the week.

The current temps there are over 100F during the day! I am thinking rather than buying clothes in the USA that would be comfortable in that heat, perhaps I could just buy them there since they are probably easier to find.

What would you recommend I look for? Also, where in New Delhi would be the best place to shop?

I don't care about name brand clothing, so long as it is cool and comfortable. Lastly, would it be more expensive to buy clothing there as opposed to the US?

Any advice you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to New Delhi soon, need clothing advice!

Delhi is full of shops. You can buy from Cannaught Place, Karol Bagh or any Mall.

Arun

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to New Delhi soon, need clothing advice!

You can even go to Janpath to do street shopping. Malls would be expensive. Cheers!!

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to New Delhi soon, need clothing advice!

Hi Roy

Best clothes for Delhi weather is loose and comfortable cotton clothing which can be bought anywhere. I suggest the following clothes shopping in Delhi.

1. Check out the name brand stores to compare prices in India vs US. You may find bargains here.

2. You can purchase traditional Indian wear at the state government emporia. Prices are reasonable and the quality is guaranteed.

3. You can even get a suit stitched if you are in Delhi for a while.

Check out Connaught Place (Rajiv Chowk on the metro line). You will find the various shops here and the state govt emporia are on Baba Kharak Singh Road (one of the radial roads from CP heading west). Regardless of where you stay in Delhi or surrounding areas, you can easily reach CP by metro.

Also you can visit Fabindia stores for traditional Indian wear. They have 1 in CP.

Happy shopping

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to New Delhi soon, need clothing advice!

Hi,

The weather in Delhi is hot and humid so loose cotton T-Shirts or even Shirts are preferable Delhi is a shopping Paradise there are lots of market around where you can find non branded cloths market such as Janpath , Sarojni Nagar and Karol Bagh are must visit market you can have a good bargain in these markets..

Happy Travelling...

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
238 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to New Delhi soon, need clothing advice!

Hey,

I think it would be cheaper in here. Buying clothes according to the weather would be convenient.

Look for cotton clothes or linen at Karol Bagh, Janpath etc.

Regards,

Piyush.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to New Delhi soon, need clothing advice!

hi clothes r cheaper in india.if u buy from shopping mall u dont have to haggle.they r fixed price.mostly monsoon discounts are available In all malls.few names are saket city walk,great india place noaida etc.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
263 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to New Delhi soon, need clothing advice!

As you are not 'Brand' conscious, there are end number of places to Shop.

Sarojini Nagar is one of the most famous places for inexpensive clothing. There you can get t-shirts/ shirts/tracks/pyjamas/jeans/shorts/shoes..... almost everything. But, you must be ready for the crowd as this market is generally crowded. If you can, avoid going there late in the evening or on a Sunday.

Janpath street market is also very popular for inexpensive clothes. Right in Central Delhi.

Karol Bagh in West Delhi is the place where you will be able to explore both non-branded and branded clothes. You can get every piece of clothing in this market. This market is closed on Mondays.

As you know its very hot, so light cotton clothes would be the best option. You would need to apply lot of sunscreen lotions too.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
588 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to New Delhi soon, need clothing advice!

Hi,

Yes the clothes are cheaper here only if you do street shopping from places like Janpath, Sarojini Nagar, Cannaught Place etc.

In Malls, you will get mostly branded stuff almost as costly as US.

More Imprtantly, Not sure how many days you will be in delhi... But going to all the places just to shop can consume considerable time. I would advice to get whatever you have, and spend more time going other places in Delhi than doing too much shopping.

CheerS!

Luv.

9. Re: Going to New Delhi soon, need clothing advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:17