We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Triangle a few questions : Car and driver

Singapore
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Triangle a few questions : Car and driver

1. Do you need a car driver and guide or can the guides be picked up at each city as and when required ?

2. If i want to start the trip at Jodhpor and then come back through Jaipur , Agra and finishing in Delhi is this possible ?

3. To what extent do drivers hassle you to go to their uncles silk factory , tea factory, etc. Is it possible to just tell the driver that you are not interested in these things .

4. If the car and driver is booked through a travel agent , can they get the hotels any cheaper than could be booked online my myself ?

New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Triangle a few questions : Car and driver

Hi

Your can cover easily if you landed in jodhpur. It's perfect route jodhpur - jaipur - agra - Delhi.

Driver and guide is different roles. Guide you can hire in each city separately but car and driver you can hire for your complete itinerary.

Hotels cost is depend on category and use by travel companies. Few chains are good offer to to direct clients but few chains give very good rates to travel companies so it's again depends on hotels and companies. if you don't interested in anything to visit as textiles or other silk facilities, I don't think anyone take you or press you to take their. if you want please PM to few DE for your costs for each thing separately like hotels, driver, guide or something else. I hope it will be help you.

Thanks

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), India
Level Contributor
4,283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Triangle a few questions : Car and driver

Ashoka Tours and Travels is a subsidiary of India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC) which is a government company. I cannot say how reliable they are, but it is best to stick to a Government run organisation.

Check out their car rentals here

www.attindiatourism.com/Car-rental.html

You could also see their Golden Triangle tour package on the same site.

You need to hire a guide separately. You can either do this through your hotel or through ITDC. Check out ITDC link here or contact Ashoka Tours and Travels.

http://www.tourism.gov.in

Do not ask your driver or guide for hotel reservations. Do it yourself, it will be safer and cheaper. I recommend using hotel chains such as Carlson Rezidor or Accor Hotels or Ginger Hotels, which have established budget hotels in many cities in India.

You should not use a driver's recommendation for anything unless you want to be duped.

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Triangle a few questions : Car and driver

Also car hire charges are based on distance travelled from garage to garage. So if you hire a car in Jodhpur and get dropped of at Delhi via Jaipur and Agra, you have to pay for the return distance also.

Jaipur
Level Contributor
512 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Triangle a few questions : Car and driver

Dear Expat-Yorkshire,

Namaste!!

1 You don’t need guide, because driver knows little bit English and they will help you (Arrival/Departure). Only required at monuments.

2 Yes it is possible you can start your trip from Jodhpur 1N, Jaipur 2N, Agra 1N & Delhi 2N.

3 You can tell to directly to drive (because drivers get commission, so they always force to Client) but you can tell directly – I am not interested

4 You can booked the car & driver by travel agent and hotel also (they knows all about hotels) and There are so many travel agent on TA, try to get the quotes from 2-3 agents.

Cheers!!!

Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Triangle a few questions : Car and driver

Hi

I would suggest booking a driver for your tour, if you take one for the whole time he will prove very reliable and you should have no problems getting around.

Don't go too cheap, the drivers that earn the minimal are the ones that will try to get you to their Uncles tea shop etc. As here he will get commission.

Remember who ever you choose, you are the boss. But please ask them to make an itinerary of each city you want to visit, as you really want to get your money's worth and see as much as possible

I hope this helps

Delhi
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Triangle a few questions : Car and driver

Well to answer all your questions -YES.

While you can do this trip on your own, there will be challenges in controlling the experience ( quality of guide, driver, vehicle) and co-ordinating things. and the perhaps bargaining /arriving at the price. ON average doing it So keep that in mind while figuring out. Ofocurse the saving if you do it on your own is about 10-15% .....so keep all things in mind..especially if its worth doing so much on your own.

Agra, Uttar...
Level Contributor
232 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Triangle a few questions : Car and driver

Hi,

1. Yes you require a car and driver for entire trip and guides can be hired on a city basis. However you can also do this trip through train as all these cities are very well connected through trains and can hire car driver and guide both on a city basis.

2. When you will be hiring a cab from jodhpur and release that in Delhi, you have to pay for delhi to jodhpur as well. Fares are calculated on a round trip basis.

3. Drivers try to push you to such places for their interest but it is up to you whether you want to go or not. Nobody can pressurize you.

4. Travel agents do have better rates when compared to self booking, you can contact 2-3 members here for services and prices to choose the best one for you.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Triangle a few questions : Car and driver

Hi,

First of all, I would like to point out the above mentioned travel agency which is said to be the Tourism Department run. There are no such companies run by Tourism Department. There are several travel agencies that are recognised or approved by the government authorities but not run by them.

The mentioned circuit can easily be done by a car and driver. The guides can be hired as and when required. You will find many recommendations for drivers on these forums, and these drivers wouldn't take you to such uncle's tea or silk factories as getting continuous recommendations is not that easy.

Have a great trip.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden Triangle a few questions : Car and driver

Hello Traveler,

Suggest you all the above is Yes.

But you book the tour through travel agency because of you take your self not good experience and not a controlling of the tour because of provide you by all services by travel agent is good because of he will a long experience in this trade. so you better book the tour through travel agent and you search the TA . because of there are many travel agency.

Have a great trip

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden Triangle a few questions : Car and driver

Dear Jai-drive

If you had clicked on the links given in my post you would have been able to see the linkage from Tourism Ministry of Govt of India (the link has a gov.in domain which clearly indicates a government agency) to ITDC which runs the Ashoka Hotels to its travel solutions division called Ashoka Tours and Travels.

I accept that the government should not be running hotels and a travel agency, but the fact remains that it does.

I always cross check any fact which I provide so that I do not make any mistake in my posts.