We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday shopping

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeenshire...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Sunday shopping

Hi,

I am arriving to Dheli on Sunday 17th August in the morning and I was planning to leave for Manali in the evening. However, before I wanted to do some shopping - buy some loose indian clothes for the trip, food and medicine. I've seen that the big Dheli market is only opened Mon -sat.

Is it true? And if yes, where else can I go to do shopping? Is everything closed on Sundays?

Also, what about pharmacies - will they be open or I should bring medicine with me from my country (I need basic medicines, plus some antibiotics for travel diaherea etc)?

Many thanks for help!

Agnieszka

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Munnar, Odisha
Level Contributor
846 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday shopping

Hi Agnieszka,

A no of Pharmacies are open 24/7. You 'll get a plenty of medicine stores.

And for shopping you 'll get the following options. These places are open on Sunday and very popular shopping destination

1.Dilli Haat

2.Janpath and Tibetan Market

3.Sarojini Nagar

4.Lajpat Nagar (Central Market)

Regards

Aparajita

Aberdeenshire...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday shopping

Thank you!

I will check them.

Regards,

Agnieszka

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday shopping

Well the Best Bet is to go to Sarojini Nagar.

It will be a paradise if you want to shop but dont forget to bargain. they could settle for as low as INR 200 for something they quote INR 500. Its insane the way you can bargain. take a local friend if possible. You can buy everything in this market - medicines, food, clothes, etc

Lajpat nagar is also a good option if you are not satisfied with Sarojini.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
263 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday shopping

Most of the Chemist shops are open on Sunday till noon, but you can find end number of shops open 24x7 in every area. No, not all shopping places in Delhi are closed on Sundays. Depending upon the area you are staying, you can shop from areas nearby. If you are staying in West Delhi, go to Karol bagh, where you can easily find inexpensive as well as branded clothes of all types. If you are in South Delhi, Lajpat Nagar and Sarojini Nagar are the options. Sarojini Nagar for inexpensive comfortable western wear incl harem pants, t-shirts, track pants etc. and Lajpat Nagar for Indian wear like Salwar Kurta, etc. but be prepared to face the crowd as both these markets are very crowded on Sundays.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday shopping

Karol Bagh will be open on Sunday which is not very far from RK Ashram from where most of Manali buses going. If Himachal tourism bus that is also not very far. Most of famous markets are closed on Sunday in Delhi. Chemist shops are open all the days.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
205 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday shopping

Would it be safe for 2 women to hire a driver and venture out to these shopping places after 5 P.M.?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday shopping

Hello,

Yes, you can book a cab ( meru cabs, Easy cabs, quick cabs) Its safe to hire a cab.

You shouls go to Sarojini Nagar Market and Janpat, as these are the 2 main Hubs for girls shopping in South delhi. In north delhi , you can go to the Kamala Market.

Enjoy Shopping and remember to Bargain (half the price of what they say!!!)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
205 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday shopping

Thank you Sushmita-Traveller. I am not quite excited, but sure that I will be.

india
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday shopping

if your hire a driver from t a form i hopes they can help you always and your safe also with them

10. Re: Sunday shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2015, 05:17