We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-paid Taxi

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-paid Taxi

Could someone tell me EXACTLY how to go about getting a pre-paid taxi at the international airport? We are arriving in the middle of the night and will be really tired, so don't want to try and figure things out after we land.

So far, I know we prepay at the booth in the terminal, then take the receipt. The questions I have are

a. Where is the taxi stand?

b. Is there someone at the stand who will assign a taxi to us?

c. Are the drivers knowledgeable about Delhi or do I need to have directions? We will be going to Lodhi road.

Where is the radio taxi counter? I heard that those are better cars even if a bit more expensive.

Thank you.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-paid Taxi

Dear Guest,

Please find your answer as below.

a. Where is the taxi stand?

Taxi Stand out side the Airport. (in 02nd Lane for Yellow and Black Taxi and First lane Reserve for some Private Taxi (Meru / Mega Cabs )

b. Is there someone at the stand who will assign a taxi to us?

No, they will not assign any particular taxi for you but they will help you and guide you. after make payment they will give one receipt and write stand No. (Exp 40, 35, 37). i will advise you take receipt inside the arrival hall there is Delhi Traffic Police Prepaid Taxi Counter (Next to Thomas Cook Money exchange counter. (Yellow and Black color taxi)

Mega and Meru Cab : They will assign you particular Taxi for you.

c. Are the drivers knowledgeable about Delhi or do I need to have directions? We will be going to Lodhi road.

Yes drivers are very knowledgeable about the Delhi, show them your prepaid taxi slip and tell them address of Lodhi Road.

Where is the radio taxi counter? I heard that those are better cars even if a bit more expensive.

No Outside the Gate No. 6 and pillars no 14-15. there are two radio taxi counter Meru and Mega prepaid Taxi. yes they are little bit expensive they will around INR 80 / - for parking + INR 10-15 per Kilometer.

regards

delhiguide

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,964 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-paid Taxi

Very good and detail answer by delhiguide232000.

deepak

Edinburgh, Uk
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-paid Taxi

I would recommend against the radio cabs, at least the one on the left as you leave the airport. I should have done more homework and blame myself mostly but if it helps warn others I'll be pleased. I was quoted and charged Rs4295. I did query this as I thought it was steep but the man had phoned the hotel, apparently, and let me speak to them to confirm that rate. The taxi manager said it was a long way to Green Park and he showed me his card issued by the police. At the hotel I tipped the driver Rs500 but he kept asking for Rs1000. At least I didn't go along with that. You can imagine how I felt when the hotel told that for a taxi to the airport they quoted Rs1200 + tax. Like I say do your homework but benefit from my experience.

Edinburgh, Uk
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-paid Taxi

I would recommend against the radio cabs, at least the one on the left as you leave the airport. I should have done more homework and blame myself mostly but if it helps warn others I'll be pleased. I was quoted and charged Rs4295. I did query this as I thought it was steep but the man had phoned the hotel, apparently, and let me speak to them to confirm that rate. The taxi manager said it was a long way to Green Park and he showed me his card issued by the police. At the hotel I tipped the driver Rs500 but he kept asking for Rs1000. At least I didn't go along with that. You can imagine how I felt when the hotel told that for a taxi to the airport they quoted Rs1200 + tax. Like I say do your homework but benefit from my experience.

Edinburgh, Uk
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-paid Taxi

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-paid Taxi

Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated.

New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-paid Taxi

Hi

Above post well suggested for taxi. If you want to hassles free I suggest hire driver and car in advance do to your tired travel journey.its not so expensive and very flexible for travelers, if you took black and yellow taxi slip then it's okay, otherwise at any airport there is plenty of touts, and they are confused to tourists and charge 4-5 time more than real rent, best way book a car in advance for avoid any kind of troubles.

Thanks

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-paid Taxi

Mega & Meru Cabs are reliable and reputable cab companies.

9. Re: Pre-paid Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2015, 05:15