We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is road trip from delhi to shimla safety???

Which Shimla hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chennai, Tamil...
1 post
Save Topic
is road trip from delhi to shimla safety???

Hii..

Im planning to go shimla from delhi on june18th via Cab service..is this safety to travel via road.....please suggest.!!!

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is road trip from delhi to shimla safety???

Good road by Himachali standards .Train a lot more comfortable.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,964 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is road trip from delhi to shimla safety???

Good road and quite safe to travel. You can use state roadways buses also any time of the day or night. Most of the buses are in good condition with Volvo service.

deepak

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,394 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is road trip from delhi to shimla safety???

senthilk21

If you are keen to do the journey by bus or cab, its okay. Otherwise, I would suggest for train to Kalka from Delhi and Kalka to Shimla by toy train, where you can get scenic beauties which is better than you get in Shimla itself. Moreover, it is comfortable. Road transport should be the last resort in this route.

AshisRoy

Edited: 06 May 2012, 12:43
Tezpur, Assam, India
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is road trip from delhi to shimla safety???

Dear Ashish,

Please elaborate on the trip to Shimla from Delhi by Kalka-&-Toy Train? How long does it take to reach Shimla by Train and by what time does the toy train reach Shimla ?

Pawan663

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is road trip from delhi to shimla safety???

Night train from Delhi ( aroud ten PM ) reaches Kalka around five in the morning ,chai break , toy train reaches Shimla elevenish.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,394 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is road trip from delhi to shimla safety???

Pawan663

You may avail any of the following trains to reach Kalka :

Hwh Dli Klk Mail (12311) Delhi - Kalka 21:15 - 04:30

Himalyan Queen (14095) Delhi S Rohilla - Kalka 05:45 - 11:10

Kalka Shtbdi (12011) New Delhi - Kalka 07:40 - 11:45

The toy train (Kalka - Shimla) scedules are as follows :

52451 Shivalik Dlx Exp KLK 05.30 SML 10.15

52453 Kalka Simla Exp KLK 06.00 SML 11.05

52455 Himalayan Queen KLK 12.10 SML 17.20

AshisRoy

Edited: 10 May 2012, 16:38
Tezpur, Assam, India
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is road trip from delhi to shimla safety???

Dear Ashis,

Thanks for your kind & valuable information. If I want to reach Shimla before 12-00 noon, I think we should better catch Howra-Delhi Kalka mail (by 21.15, on the 16th July) and reach Kalka by 4-30 next morning to catch any of the toy trains, leaving Kalka by 5-30 or 6-00 for Shimla, right !!! Sir, can I book tickets for both the trains, on-line ? Also could you inform if there is any other night-train from N.Delhi to Kalka & if yes the timings, please.

With warm regards,

Pawan663

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,394 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is road trip from delhi to shimla safety???

Pawan663,

Yes, that would be the best option. Hwh Dli Klk Mail (12311) Delhi - Kalka 21:15 - 04:30 and 52451 Shivalik Dlx Exp KLK 05.30 SML 10.15. Both the trains can be booked online through www.irctc.co.in for the toy train booking go as follows Log on www.irctc.co.in then click on 'Tourist Train' go to 'Hill Charter' > 'Kalka-Shimla Himalayan Railway' > 'Retail Booking' proceed for booking.

There is no other overnoght train from Delhi to Kalka.

AshisRoy

Edited: 11 May 2012, 07:17
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
296 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is road trip from delhi to shimla safety???

Pawan663,

The Hwh Dli Klk Mail is generally late as it does not starts from Delhi. But I think the toy train from Kalka to Shimla waits for the passengers coming from this train in the morning. The booking for toy train starts only 30 days before the travel date, not 90 days as with normal trains and are full in 1-2 days.

A bit of caution about the toy train from Kalka to Shimla. The seats are very small and it takes a good amount of time to reach Shimla (6-7 hrs) as compared to road travel (2-3 hrs). The scenery will be enjoyable for some time but you will get bored looking at the same stuff again and again.

viksdelhi

Tezpur, Assam, India
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is road trip from delhi to shimla safety???

Dear Ashis / Vaishali,

1) I am planning to go to Shimla & Manali, with my wife & 2-Children (aged 11 & 14), on 16th of July. I'm thinking of catching Delhi Kalka mail and then the toy train to reach Shimla, before 12-00 noon. We are planning to stay 2-nights each, both in Shimla & Manali. Could u please help me to plan-out a pleasant trip, by advising me which hotels (Range, around Rs.2,000/-, per night) in Shimla & Manali, I should prefer for a comfortable & safe stay. Do these hotels provide free Breakfast & Dinner?

2) Alternately if I travel from delhi to shimla by Volvo, I think I would reach Shimla early morning, but the hotel check-in time normally is 12-00 noon, so I wonder what we shall do for so long !!!

3) What would be the approximate cost if I hire a car for sight seeings in Shimla & also in Manali and also for the trip from Shimla to Manali ??

4) Being the first trip to Himachal, I seek few additional, valuable tips from you, please.

Pawan663