We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Shimla

Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Shimla

We re staying in shimla on 19th and 20th dec night and want to return back to mumbai on 23rd or atleast on 24th

Did plan to go to manali but its becoming too hectic coz of road travel and flight timings which is at 7pm latest from chandigargh to mumbai which means i have to leave that place to be in chandigargh by 5pm

Is there any place closer to shimla where we can spend 2-3 days more

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
36,637 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Shimla

You may add Chail, Fagu for stay 1 nt each. These places are better than Shimla for staying.

Edited: 08 November 2013, 08:09
Calcutta, West...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Shimla

Hi all. I am planning to visit Shimla in December. I have thought g to return Delhi from Kalka by Shatabdi (6.15am). Can you please advise me, if it is safe to travel from Shimla to Kalka late night as my train is at early morning from Kalka. How much times does it usually take, and what should i opt for. Bus or cab.

Thank you!

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Shimla

We had a light snowfall today in Shimla.. Not much to talk about but it gives a feel that winters are here and it will be a long winter season.

Dec 20 onwards happens to be the snowfall dates. If you are lucky you may get to see the snowfall. Now when the snowfall happens, I would prefer to be in Shimla as being state capital roads are cleared on priority rather in surrounding areas like Chail, where one may have to stay a lot longer. Keep this factor in mind when opting to stay around Shimla in winters and if you have to catch a flight in next 2-3 days

Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Shimla

Planning to book budget hotel in naldehra an u suggest Ny? Also can we stay a night in kalka so that early morning on 24th we can catch train to chandigargh

21st-23rd naldehra and 23rd night in kalka to that we catch early train to chamdigargh on 24th mrng

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
36,637 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Shimla

May stay in Fagu (North Moon Home Stay, Suresh Sharma(+91) 01783-239386, 098164-23286, 09218770486. northmoonhomestay@gmail.com OR HPTDC Fagu) instead of Naldehra. Because, Naldehra is basically a picnic spot, major attraction is the golf course. Other than Naldehra Chalet there is hardly any accommodation.

Edited: 16 November 2013, 07:26
Gwalior, Madhya...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Shimla

i want to visit shimla and narkanda this winter(From 22nd to 26th Dec or 12th to16th jan) with my wife to enjoy the snowfall. what are the chances of snowfall or finding snow on above mentioned dates? can we find snow in narkanda in december end? and can we trek the hatu peak on these dates?

Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Shimla

Thanks.. I checked reviews for fagu hotel and have freezed it. We are planning to go for white water rafting, heard its 100km away from fagu.. Where is it exactly?

Also we are planning to leave fagu a day prior and do an overnight in kalka at windcross so that we can catch early morning train.. Is this right choice?

Do we need to book train in advance? If yes where can we book?

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,637 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Shimla

November-December is not the time for river rafting. However, river rafting can be availed in Narkanda in May-June/October.

Edited: 16 November 2013, 17:06
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Shimla

We have some concerns on our stay at northmoon, fagu with regards to amenities and the comfort (heater) during our stay in dec end

Can u suggest such home stay or any other location/hotel where we have different experience altogether. We would like to do activities like forest trails etc. We have checked spirits unplugged which is a home stay aswell but its too far.

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,637 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Shimla

You can see Apple Blossom (HPTDC) in Fagu. Homestay will have basic amenities, their service is not as professional as hotel.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 07:22