We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalka-Chandigarh opinion needed for Kolkata-Shimla tour.

Calcutta, West...
3 posts
Save Topic
Kalka-Chandigarh opinion needed for Kolkata-Shimla tour.

we are planning a trip to Shimla from Kolkata in the month of october after the durga pujas.

so long, from various sites and tripadvisor forum-helps, we have made a rough chart of the trip.

1.Howrah-kalka Mail

2. Boarding of toytrain from kalka to shimla.

was hoping to return the same way. But since for now it would be just 2 girls travelling ( might increase) .. we were a little skeptical on staying on Kalka station till midnight to board our kalka mail back to kolkata.

so i was wondering a flight approach back to kolkata.

chandigarh to kolkata i see lots of nice flights after 4pm till 6pm .. was hoping to book one of them. But for that we must reach Chandigarh airport by 4.30pm from Kalka..

So we were wondering if we board the 10.30am toy train from Shimla to reach Kalka... will we be able to reach Chandigarh by 4 or 4.30pm?

will this route be a safe one for two girls ?? what in your opinion would be more convenient from kalka... a bus to chandigarh? Or taxis to Chandigarh? or Autos?? or Megacabs??

Please do not hesitate to provide your kind helpful opinions on any aspects of this tour planning. every kind of help is appreciated.

Thank you :)

Shimla, India
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalka-Chandigarh opinion needed for Kolkata-Shimla tour.

you would reach Kalka by 4. The best option is to take a cab into Chandigarh (45mins to the airport) The train is pretty safe and you would get cabs from outside the Kalka station.

Calcutta, West...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalka-Chandigarh opinion needed for Kolkata-Shimla tour.

Thank you so much for the help.

I suppose I saw a 17.40pm flight from Chandigarh to Kolkata..

If we reach Kalka at 4.10pm(16.10) .. will it be possible for us to reach chandigarh Airport in time for check in and baggage check and thereafter flight boarding? or will it be little tooo close to cut?

Pune
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Pune, Mahabaleshwar, Aurangabad
Level Contributor
825 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalka-Chandigarh opinion needed for Kolkata-Shimla tour.

Actually howarh-Kalka and Shivalik exp are connected. So shouldnt be a problem.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalka-Chandigarh opinion needed for Kolkata-Shimla tour.

Pinky, these trains are connected. Until the train from Shimla arrives, the train from kalka wont leave. Don't worry go by train and see the best station in india called Kalka. Its also very very safe for alone women.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalka-Chandigarh opinion needed for Kolkata-Shimla tour.

Kalka to Shimla takes 50 mnts by bus. walk to bus stand will take 20 mnts. Its 1 kms away. Sometimes you get auto. They charge a bit! from chandigarh bus stand to airport is a mess. U may need to hire an auto which will charge 200 bucks and will take 30 mnts. Better to take flight from delhi. From delhi station u get metro to go to airport. I would just continue on train because of the direct train to howrah.

6. Re: Kalka-Chandigarh opinion needed for Kolkata-Shimla tour.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17