We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please advise on Bangalore/Mysore/Ooty trip

Mumbai
Level Contributor
13 posts
581 reviews
Save Topic
Please advise on Bangalore/Mysore/Ooty trip

I am from Mumbai - would be visting Bangalore/Mysore/Ooty in May for 10 days.

Following is my travel plan:

-----------------------------

DAY 1 :

I would reach Bangalore Airport around 8.30 am + 1/2 day Bangalore sightseeing (9am - 1pm) + Board Tipu Express from Bangalore station at 2.15pm for Mysore + Overnight stay at Mysore.

DAY 2 :

Visit Mysore Palace, Jaganmohan Palace, Zoo, Chamuni Hill, Museum, Brindavan Gardens, Srirangpatna + Overnight stay at Mysore.

DAY 3 :

Visit Nagarhole National Park + Overnight stay at Mysore.

DAY 4 :

Visit Hassan, Halebid and Belur temples + Overnight stay at Mysore.

DAY 5 :

Visit Bandipur National Park + Proceed to Ooty + Overnight stay at Ooty.

DAY 6 :

Visit Botanical Garden, Lake, various points + Overnight stay at Ooty.

DAY 7 :

Visit Mudumalai National Park, Pykara Lake + Overnight stay at Ooty.

DAY 8 :

Free day + Overnight stay at Ooty.

DAY 9 :

DAY 10 :

Use Nilgiri Mountain Railway from Ooty to Mettupalaiyam + Overnight stay at Coimbatore.

DAY 11 :

Board Mumbai bound train from Coimbatore station at 8 am.

1> Is my travel plan realistic ?? Would any of the Days be very hectic ?? Please give suggestions.

2> I would prefer to do sightseeing/travel in cabs - What might be the approx cab fare on DAY1,2,3,4,5.

3> Any idea about timings of Mountain Rail from Ooty in the morning ??

Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please advise on Bangalore/Mysore/Ooty trip

Your day at Mysore is going to be spent rushing through and from one sight to the other. No time to really relax and enjoy a particular place or sight. I have seen Mysore over various trips,but I would suggest that if you wish to visit and enjoy all those places, budget two days for Mysore sight-seeing. You could carve the extra day out of your forest trips as explained below.

Half the charm of the forest experience is actually staying there at night and enjoying the late evening and early morning safaris.

I am rather directionally challenged, so I would advise you buy a Road Guide to Karnataka and one to Tamil Nadu and map one to the other. It is available at bookshops in Mumbai. You seem to be doing a lot of going back and forth in the forest sector. The Nagarhole has very good jungle safaris. I think that the Kabini River Lodge is an unbeatable package. I am fairly sure that I have been told that Bandipur, Mudumalai, Nagarhole are all part of what was once the same forest stretch, now carved up by state borders, plantations, roads and different names. Your road map would show you in any case. Unfortunately, I do not have a TN road map with me. So better to experience one forest - stay there overnight and you could perhaps drive through Bandipur a bit to experience part of that forest for a couple of hours the next day. These forests are very similar.

Incidentally, at Nagarhole in December, we were incredibly lucky - my group saw 1 tiger, 3 leopards, 2 gaur, 1 wild boar, the spotted, sambhar and barking deer, the malabar squirrel, 3 kinds of monkeys including one spotted by me which the guide said was new to the area - so he did not know the name - he had promised he would let me know the name but did not. In addition, we saw an eagle, an owl, peacocks, blossom headed parakeets, hosts of other birds and of course, elephants.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
13 posts
581 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please advise on Bangalore/Mysore/Ooty trip

By mistake, I posted this twice:

--------------------------------------

DAY 8 :

DAY 9 :

Following is correct:

----------------------------

DAY 8 :

DAY 9 :

Use Nilgiri Mountain Railway from Ooty to Mettupalaiyam + Overnight stay at Coimbatore.

DAY 10 :

Board Mumbai bound train from Coimbatore station at 8 am.

alleppey
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please advise on Bangalore/Mysore/Ooty trip

You have missed KABINI (Should be a part of itinerary)

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please advise on Bangalore/Mysore/Ooty trip

Hi

Can't agree with RoFrank more. . . the charm of the forest stay is something unique (of course . . . depending on your interest)

My suggestion would be to stay at Nagarhole / Kabini for the night on Day 3 rather than heading back to Mysore.

Similarly, the charm of Bandipur / Mudumalai is the early morning and late evenings where most of the animal sightings happen. There are some great places at Bandipur/Masinagudi to stay, which you may want to consider on Day 5.

Rajan

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please advise on Bangalore/Mysore/Ooty trip

Unfoirtunately Ooty is far too crowded these days, so I would suggeste you keep the Ooty part of it to the minimum-and Coonoor, which is about 10 kms away, is a bit less congested.

Mysore deserves more than a day, though the day and half that you have planned might do the trick. Hassan, Belur Halebid etc is a longish drive and quite tiring, it is better to do a night halt at Hassan, if you can.

6. Re: Please advise on Bangalore/Mysore/Ooty trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 04:19