We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbai CST train with young kids

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Mumbai CST train with young kids

Hello,

We are planning the details for our Easter trip to India.

In Mumbai, we will be staying at the Taj Mahal Tower, and would like to spend a day in Vashi visiting friends. What would be the best way to travel to and from Vashi with a couple of young (6yo) children?

Factors to consider:

1. The kids are prone to car sickness, so we'd like to minimize time in cars.

2. I suppose it will be very hot as it is early April.

3. It will be a weekday (we can avoid rush hours).

Thank you in advance for your advice!

13 replies to this topic
MUMBAI
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
1. Re: Mumbai CST train with young kids

Hello FoodieTravelerNYC ,

The best to beat the heat would be air conditioned bus from Colaba ( close to Taj ) run by NMMT for Vashi .

Another will be local train from CSMT will need to take a short taxi ride from Taj and take normal harbour- trans harbour train starting from CSMT and ends at Vashi ( there are few trains and even for other further destinations even avoid that) . Go 1st class and leave early by 6-30 am to avoid rush and return very late post 10 pm from Vashi .So as to beat the crowd .But as boarding from starting and alighting at the last and going 1st class you will have seats to sit throughout the journey .There is no air conditioned on harbour line trains. But morning & late night will be bit bearable then when the sun rises and sets and in between .

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Mumbai CST train with young kids

Thanks IndiaSpeaks!

Wow, I guess rush hour starts early and ends late. We may need to look into the bus or taxi then... May I ask how the traffic normally is from the fort area to Vashi?

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
3. Re: Mumbai CST train with young kids

It is not so bad early morning.

You can use the Eastern freeway which takes 12 minutes to cover 16.8 km stretch to and connect to highway and then onwards to Vashi .

There would be some bottlenecks at start and end of freeway in the morning hours even.

Had suggested ealy start by train to beat the crowd but even the heat . The Harbour & trans harbour trains become busy early hours as many have to move to work early hours . So beyond Kurla and between all other station till Vashi you will feel the crowd .But you will bound to get seats around 10 am even as it starts from CSTM but will get crowded on stations beyond it .

As you indicated car sickness for kids .

Hence bus or train is the best option

Edited: 20 March 2018, 15:58
India
Level Contributor
51 posts
119 reviews
4. Re: Mumbai CST train with young kids

Simply take an Uber - if you leave Taj at 7 am , you should reach Vashi by 8am or so if you take the eastern freeway. No traffic, quick ride, most convenient.

Return will take longer because of traffic - maybe 1.5 hours or so depending on the time. Take the Eastern freeway again

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
5. Re: Mumbai CST train with young kids

Hello petertheobald ,

OP has indicated in his post above " 1. The kids are prone to car sickness, so we'd like to minimize time in cars ".

So Uber may not be a good option.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,986 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Mumbai CST train with young kids

Car sickness or not, the best way to get from the Taj to Vashi in summer, is by road, by the freeway.

The freeway gets packed by office rush, so avoid those timings.

The train is really not an option in the heat.

Edited: 21 March 2018, 09:36
MUMBAI
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
7. Re: Mumbai CST train with young kids

Hello FoodieTravelerNYC ,

I am sure you will not risk car sickness of kids and venture out on road as it is a risky advise without taking into consideration the age of kids .

If I were you I will prioritize the comfort of the kids rather than taking a road .

A/C bus and then train are the best option seeing the comfort level of the kids.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
172 reviews
8. Re: Mumbai CST train with young kids

If you want to avoid the rush of peak hours and the heat then go early and come back late. Or else take the AC bus. The trains are not an easy option but tiring and dirty too if you are not used to conditions in India. Getting a window seat is not easy in the trains even if you go during off peak hours and the trains on the harbour line are only slow trains stopping at all stations unlike the fast trains available on the WR and CR which have limited stops. A taxi from the Taj to Vashi may be fastest way to get there via the freeway but if you have a problem with the kids then not advisable unless you want to risk it.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,986 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Mumbai CST train with young kids

I have a child who is regularly and routinely car sick, so I speak from personal experience. Car sickness is not a deadly disease, it is a manageable condition. Sit in the front seat or in a seat with a view ahead and avoid long curvy drives which set off the motion sickness. Straight stretches such as the one between CST and Vashi are quite easy to handle. There is also medication if it gets bad. Our family's solution to this is to simply have my daughter sleep through it. It works very well because her eyes are closed and her brain isn't getting conflicting signals from eyes and ears. The bus is bumpy and rattly and it tends to make things worse. Heat also makes it worse. Staying cool in an AC environment helps. I often carry a soft dupatta (shawl), to drape over her eyes, and from the time when she was very young, this has soothed her. Another thing that works very well for us is to play a word game. It distracts the brain.

Edited: 23 March 2018, 10:26
London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Mumbai CST train with young kids

Thank you so much, everyone, for your input!

I think we will avoid the train. Traveling before or after rush hour will be difficult, so best to stay clear all together, it seems!

Deepa is correct, there are measures to be taken against carsickness (we have the tablets too just in case), so while it's not our first choice, it seems unavoidable. I personally found coach buses worse than cars when I was a child as well.

Thank you so much again.

Edited: 27 March 2018, 01:07
Reply to: Mumbai CST train with young kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted